Disk Utility doesn’t recognize internal HD

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by asdaw, Aug 6, 2016.

1. asdaw macrumors newbie

asdaw

Hi guyse,

I have a bit of a problem here:
    I’m running OS X El Capitan on a 2013 MBA.
    A couple of months ago I noticed that my MacBook would crash after about 30 minutes every time I would try to do a time machine backup (red flag!)
    Then my system started crashing regularly, just freezing to death in a weird way after running for 20–30 minutes, every single time.
    I backed up all I needed on an external HD, created a bootable installer, booted from it and used disk utility to erase my internal HD.
    And after that, the internal HD was just GONE — completely. Not available for the install, Disk Utility doesn’t see it.
    I installed OS X on the external drive, tried running Disk Utility and Disk Warrior from there — to no avail.
    System information doesn’t see the volume either, but under SATA it can see "Apple SSD controller". Alas, under Apple SSD Controller, there is just an "Unknown". No trace of my Hard Drive.

Do you have any kind of recommendations before I bring the device to an Apple Store (way beyond warranty). I have a feeling like my HDD is closer to god now.

Thanks in advance!

2. Shirasaki macrumors 603

Shirasaki

Bring it to Apple store and see if they are generous enough to replace it for free.
    Mine has similar problem and Apple Store replaces my faulty SSD for free (originally cost 850 AUD).

3. JTToft macrumors 68040

Either the SSD is dead or the PCIe connector on the motherboard is faulty. Nothing to do outside of a repair/replacement.

4. tubeexperience macrumors 68030