Disney Artists Go Hands-On With Upcoming iPad Pro and Apple Pencil

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Oct 6, 2015.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Apple today sent a few iPad Pros over to Disney, where Disney animators were able to use them alongside the Apple Pencil to test out the iPad Pro's drawing and sketching capabilities in a professional environment.

Disney Story Artist Jeff Ranjo shared a Periscope that demonstrates the iPad Pro in action, and several images of the Disney team's drawings were shared on Twitter. The Disney team was using a beta version of popular drawing app Procreate, which has been updated to work with the iPad Pro, and an iPad Pro version of Paper by Fiftythree was also shown off.

In the Periscope, Ranjo was impressed with the grip of the iPad Pro's screen when used with the Pencil, and he also was a fan of the palm rejection features. When drawing on an iPad Pro, the palm of a hand can be rested on the screen, but it's still responsive to zoom gestures. At the end of the video, which is well worth watching to see the iPad in action, he says "Let's order a bunch of them."

Several additional photos were shared by Disney Product Manager Paul Hildebrandt. Disney Story Artist Paul Briggs used the iPad Pro to sketch Olaf from the movie Frozen, while longtime Disney artist Paul Felix drew classic Disney character Mickey Mouse.

[​IMG]

Apple's iPad Pro, Pencil, and Smart Keyboard will launch in November. Apple has not yet provided an exact release date for the new tablet, but recent rumors have suggested it could debut early in the month.

Article Link: Disney Artists Go Hands-On With Upcoming iPad Pro and Apple Pencil

2. Mikey44 macrumors member

Mikey44

Didn't they just do that for Pixar recently too?

3. oghowie macrumors 6502a

oghowie

4. winston1236 macrumors 68000

5. 840quadra Moderator

840quadra

Staff Member

It's great to see these are out in the wild, getting more than just the typical beta testing. I'm really excited to see the capabilities of the iPad pro and this pencil. Would be really nice to see Apple give us a release date, but I expect it'll be the end of November. That said, it would make sense for them to give us an idea, so people can plan holiday shopping accordingly. :)

6. diddl14 macrumors 6502a

diddl14

7. appledefenceforce macrumors 6502

appledefenceforce

8. Vegasryn macrumors 6502

Glad to see that MacRumors has a "DONT BUY" recommendation :rolleyes:

9. FightTheFuture macrumors 6502a

FightTheFuture

Just last week actually. Not sure why that didn't make the front page.

10. xlost6 macrumors 6502

11. Mikey44 macrumors member

Mikey44

Pixar isn't as cool as Disney apparently. Also, that picture looks almost identical, it's uncanny!

12. MrGuder macrumors 68020

These real life photos make the iPad Pro look really small. Why? It doesn't look much bigger than the iPad Air 2.

13. gugy macrumors 68030

I would like to see someday the iPad Pro to act like the Wacom Cintiq. The problem will be Adobe support such a thing. Just imagine open and Photoshop image and paint, retouch, etc using the iPad Pro with the Apple Pencil and then finish the job on the Mac. That would be awesome.

14. urkel macrumors 68030

Dont get me wrong. its lots of fun to see professional artists using stuff to create a great tech demo. But as someone who actually wants to buy an iPad Pro then I want to see the tablet in the hands of normal people.

(Yes, I'm being cynical but it's tough to believe that the murderers of a perfectly good Aperture actually gives a rats @$$ about creatives so lets see what else this $1300 investment can do other than drawings)

15. KALLT macrumors 601

It seems like there is quite a bit of input latency with the Pencil. Is it really that great to use this for professional drawings?

16. ipedro macrumors 68040

ipedro

I was planning on getting one until several minutes later when they revealed 3D Touch for the iPhone 6s. Once you've used 3D Touch, it's hard to go back to not having it. Releasing a brand new flagship product without the latest tech is a big mistake.

17. Chrjy macrumors 6502a

Chrjy

I didn't realise the iPad Pro didn't have 3D touch. You're right, that's not such a bright idea when you've just announced it on a newly released iPhone :confused:

18. ipedro macrumors 68040

ipedro

It's possible and even likely that 3D Touch UI options will be available to the iPad Pro with Pencil (which does have pressure sensitivity) but you'll really miss it when using the iPad Pro with your fingers.

19. McGiord macrumors 601

McGiord

20. Rogifan macrumors P6

Rogifan

iPad Air 1 didn't have Touch ID. Was that a big mistake?

21. blackcrayon macrumors 68000

You can already do this (with an iPad Air 2) by using Astropad... Of course it lacks the deep integration Apple could provide, but it works... I can't see why they wouldn't update it with iPad Pro/Pencil support.

22. nickyD410 macrumors 6502

nickyD410

Why cant they just throw up the pre order page already.
    [​IMG]

23. haruhiko macrumors 68040

haruhiko

I guess it's because they were developed in separate teams without knowledge of each other's work.

24. BornAgainMac macrumors 603

BornAgainMac