Disney bans muslim woman from wearing headscarf during Ramadan

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by glocke12, Aug 20, 2010.

1. bobber205 macrumors 68020

bobber205

A bunch of bull. Was it because of safety concerns?

They're over worried that racist bigots will come into their restaurant and see something that scares their poor sensibilities.

I am so sick of people being scared of people and cultures that aren't their own. So dumb.

2. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

3. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

Disney? That bastion of antisemitism? Surely not....

4. yojitani macrumors 68000

yojitani

Could you elaborate on 'the right thing'? What makes it right? Why would allowing her to work be 'wrong'? I feel that they did logical thing seeing as the Disney image is androgynous, white normative, heteronormative, and imperialistic. As Disney, they are doing what any white man ought - save brown women. No?

5. bobber205 macrumors 68020

bobber205

Dude. Muslims are scary!

6. macfan881 macrumors 68020

7. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

I don't see what the problem is. If its not interfering with her job, which it clearly is not, she should be allowed to wear it.

8. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

I can already tell people have just read the head line and not the article. Diseny has a dress code and she request to wear it. The response was talk to the costume department and they will design an approtant Disney themed one. She was told she could not wear her own but need to be the diseny designed one which was not completed yet.
    She was not fired for wearing her own but was told to remove it or be placed in an area wear she would not be interacting with customers since her own head scarf did not conform to Disney dress code.

Posted from my iPod touch.

9. macfan881 macrumors 68020

this Title thread is misleading to but looking at the article source and the poster is misleading

10. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

What shock me was fox ran this story. Little too pro left for their normal taste.

I read threw it and I did not see anything Disney did wrong. They did not fire her. They have alternatives for what looks like would of been a tempary thing and a possible long term solution. Disney biggest request is it conformed to Disney theme. She chose not to accept any pf those things

Title of thread and headline are both very misleading. Headline is more proof that my lack of faith in the media is well founded.

Posted from my iPod n

11. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Taking two months to design a scarf is pretty damn incompetent.

12. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Yup. If I were to get a job I'd adhere to their dress code. I really don't like wearing suits but if I have to for work then I bloody well will.

13. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

She has no problem with wearing the clothing - she just wants to wear a headscarf too as it has cultural and religious significance to her. What's wrong with that?

14. niuniu macrumors 68020

niuniu

A man of the people. The right sort of people.

I think this is the problem - they can easily drum up a headscarf for the girl in a day or two after fitting. They have a large and talented costume design team, a headscarf is nothing for them. In the interim they should have let her wear her own scarf. No one will even notice a restaurant girl in a scarf anyway, it's not like it's a full faced burka.

People are too busy enjoying their overpriced holiday and chasing their kids around to give her a second's thought.

15. glocke12 thread starter macrumors 6502a

glocke12

Be happy to, and it has very little with the woman being a muslim. It has to do with the rights of the employer, and also the expression of religion in the workplace.

First, let me say I dont agree with the Islamo-phobe comments made by posters in that article. Some of those people are just plain ignorant.

As many know (or do not know), eating establishments in Disney require servers to require costumes, uniforms, whatever you want to call them. The headscarf is clearly not something that that would be part of the servers uniform. Just as a server would not be allowed to wear a baseball cap while working, this woman is not allowed to wear a headscarf. It is within Disneys right as an employer to require that employees follow the dress code that they set forth, and they shouldn't make an allowance for this.

There has already been precedent for not allowing ones religion to interfere with their job. Take the case of the pharmacists who lost their jobs for refusing to dispense the morning after pill. These people cited their religious beliefs as a basis for not doing this, and many were fired for doing so. IMO this was the correct course of action in those cases also.

IMO, when you agree to do work for someone, and part of the job requirement is to wear a specific uniform, you should abide by that despite your religious views. If your religion asks you to adopt a certain code of dress throughout the year, than get a job outside of the public eye.

Im actually surprised that so many on this forum are appalled by this.

16. niuniu macrumors 68020

niuniu

A man of the people. The right sort of people.
    ^^ Yeah but this woman did go along with the rules of employment, but the rules weren't applied reasonably by the employer in the end. A court won't find that waiting 2 months for the supply of a custom headscarf reasonable in these circumstances.

17. glocke12 thread starter macrumors 6502a

glocke12

Wow...Im surprised it took a full eleven posts to get to the fox news bashing.

If this story had run on CNN would it be acceptable ?

As for bringing up the mosque, way to stay on topic and focused guys.

18. bamaworks macrumors 6502

No joke, I can't tell you how many times I've been accosted by gangs of angry Muslims who roam the streets day and night incessantly, pausing only to face east and pray.

19. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

Would Disney be telling a Jewish employee that their yarmulke isn't Disney themed and they have to have one specially designed for Disney? I doubt it.

I've been to many places and seen many Muslim employees wearing headscarfs that don't conform to the rest of the uniform.

20. william sire macrumors regular

william sire

Disney should win. Companies have won this type of dispute for years but I’m afraid in todays climate all rationale and law will be thrown out the window to continue to bend over backward and kiss terrorist backside as if we owe them an apology.

21. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

What does this have to do with terrorism?

22. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

And if they did make a special one would it take 2 months and apparently considerable effort for them to sort out?

+1

23. bamaworks macrumors 6502

Some terrorists are Muslim. Some Muslims are terrorists. Not all terrorists are Muslim. Are all Muslims terrorists?

24. Queso macrumors G4

This surprises me. I used to work with a couple of Muslim guys during my time at Disney and there was never any problems from the company about their religion. Saying that, we weren't based in the parks where they are VERY strict about appearance and dress codes.