Disney (fox, marvel, lucasfilm) The New ____ Empire?

Huntn

macrumors demi-god
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
I was toying with the words bloated or evil in the thread title. My premise is that Disney has gotten too big and controls to much of the entertainment landscape. They have royally dorked up the Star Wars Universe, (my opinion) but you could argue it had already been dorked by Lucas. Star Wars 7-9* was a different kind of dorking, one bereft of new ideas.

* but I have not yet seen 9, just heard.

It’s been estimated the Disney/Fox merger will cost up to 10000 jobs. But the viewing public does not care about that. However this article lists the Marvel titles that Fox was working on, but won’t happen under Disney. I’m not sure what basis upon this list was made:
X-Men Movies Fox Had Planned (That Won’t Happen At Disney)

So the question is has Disney gotten too big for our (viewers/customers) benefit?

It will depends on how they approach their films, it they can maintain high standards, revert to high standards, or just continue to go for money grabs depending on diehard fans to show up for their lack of creativity Repeats, like the most recent Lion King movie. Too much been there seen that.

Concerning Fox and associated R rated content,
I was looking through a related thread, that’s closed and I agree with this comment:
@MacNut:
I would assume Disney would keep both studios separate but just own the rights to everything. No way Disney closes the Fox backlot. Not enough room at Disney to produce everything. And if Disney wants content for their new streamer they won't be canceling hit Fox shows. It seems that Murdock wants to sell off parts of the company and downsize.

My question was would Disney now be releasing it’s R rated content through the Fox name? This article seems to say yes.

Disney Is Releasing Its First R-Rated Film In 6 Years

When it comes to R-rated movies, Disney's attitude on them has been (unsurprisingly) not warm. Disney distributed films have, at best, earned a PG-13 rating for releases like the Pirates of the Caribbean franchise. But that doesn't mean Disney has never developed a film and released it with an R-rating; they've released movies targeted at an adult audience through other studios, including Touchstone Pictures and Miramax Pictures, and now, Fox.

Related to the above article, Stuber was released in 2019 under the Fox name if I can believe Wikipedia. Btw, I don’t remember this movie. Did anyone see it? Any good? At Rotten Tomatoes it got a 42%/79% Rating.

Other Related:
Here’s what Disney owns after the massive Disney/Fox merger

What you might find interesting are all the media brands associated with each studio:
Major Film Studios in the US 2020
  • Universal
  • Paramount
  • Warner Brothers
  • Disney
  • Columbia

MacNut

macrumors Core
Jan 4, 2002
CT
So 20th Century Fox is now called 20th Century Studios. They are dumping the Fox name because of confusion with the Murdocks owned Fox Corp.

I do wonder if we are seeing a saturation point in superhero movies in general. It might be wise for Disney to scale back a bit.

The Fox brands will be the edgier division for Disney. Just look at what FX Networks puts out.

Reactions: Huntn

AustinIllini

macrumors demi-goddess
Oct 20, 2011
Austin, TX
So 20th Century Fox is now called 20th Century Studios. They are dumping the Fox name because of confusion with the Murdocks owned Fox Corp.

I do wonder if we are seeing a saturation point in superhero movies in general. It might be wise for Disney to scale back a bit.

The Fox brands will be the edgier division for Disney. Just look at what FX Networks puts out.
The Fox name has been destroyed by the propaganda network. Glad they're dumping the Fox

Reactions: kazmac and Huntn

MacNut

macrumors Core
Jan 4, 2002
CT
Here is a future trivia question. The last movie to be released by 20th Century Fox, 'Underwater'.

The first Movie to be released by 20th Century Studios. 'The Call of the Wild'.

Huntn

macrumors demi-god
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
The Fox name has been destroyed by the propaganda network. Glad they're dumping the Fox
I grew up with Twentieth Century–Fox Film Corporation before it was Murdoch’s Fox News. 😢
- - Post merged: - -

I could have liked Gambit and Kitty Pride movies.

Last edited:

kazmac

macrumors G3
Mar 24, 2010
Any place but here or there....
You may still get your solo X Men movies Huntn.

Hopefully, their D+ Star Wars content will do right by the Universe.

Yes, Disney is too big, but like anything else I am very selective with what I will watch or buy. Waiting on Black Widow, The Falcon & The Winter Soldier (which just wrapped filming), Moon Knight and the Cassian Andor & Obi-Wan series.

Reactions: Huntn
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.