Disney pulls 'brownface' Moana costume

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by zin, Sep 23, 2016.

1. zin macrumors 6502

People have seriously gone off the deep end. They really need to get a life, complaining about everything that offends them.

2. yaxomoxay macrumors 68000

yaxomoxay

For real.

3. bent christian Suspended

bent christian

Oh, the irony.

4. zin thread starter macrumors 6502

I don't subscribe to the PC garbage, despite your snarky post implying otherwise.

5. bent christian Suspended

bent christian

No, but you'll complain about it to no end.

6. zin thread starter macrumors 6502

I'm not complaining. They can make themselves look stupid all they like. :D This is a place where we discuss and debate things.

What's your opinion on the article?

7. bent christian Suspended

bent christian

You clearly are.

com·plain
    kəmˈplān/
    verb
    1. express dissatisfaction or annoyance about a state of affairs or an event.

8. adroit macrumors 6502

adroit

Liberal here, agreeing profusely.

9. yaxomoxay macrumors 68000

yaxomoxay

You're complaining about his complaint

10. bent christian Suspended

bent christian

I also never sent he shouldn't.

11. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

12. yaxomoxay macrumors 68000

yaxomoxay

No but you're proving the point.
    There is a much bigger issue here, removal of a freedom because people get offended. A company that bends over just because some people are afraid of cultural appropriation (trousers/pants weren't invented in Africa but in China and Greece. Should we ask African-Americans to stop appropriating cultural trousers?).
    We have to decide if we want to have "cultural exchanges" or not.
    Even dread hairstyle in fashion shows is now cause for some people to scream:
    https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=newssearch&cd=1&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwi89Z-A66XPAhXFHD4KHe-tAsMQqQIIHCgAMAA&url=http://qz.com/783614/the-rainbow-dreadlocks-on-marc-jacobs-runway-have-reopened-the-pandoras-box-of-cultural-appropriation/&usg=AFQjCNGUr_ta16e_rKIFbsQZWNMbbsjXZQ&bvm=bv.133700528,d.cWw

AND BY THE WAY. I am *the one* that should scream in pain about cultural appropriation. Do you realize that Olive Garden is defined as :eek:ITALIAN CUISINE:eek: !?!?!?!?!??!?!

13. Mousse macrumors 68000

Mousse

They need to pull all those Incredible Hulk costumes as well. As a member of the Orion Syndicate:D, I find the "greenface" offensive as it mocks and stereotypes Orion men as...um...green.:p

14. bent christian Suspended

bent christian

Nope. You built a very weak straw man here.

A private company choosing not to sell a product is not a "removal of a freedom". No one is preventing Disney from listing the costume. They made a business decision not to.

15. yaxomoxay macrumors 68000

yaxomoxay

You know very well what I mean. Of course, legally you can't force them to stop selling the product. However, the RESULT of the outcry of those offended people is that kids won't be able to buy an innocent piece of clothing. Thus, such freedom has been removed.

16. bent christian Suspended

bent christian

Nope. Disney is still free to sell what they want. Freedom is not lost by an entity making a choice not to do something.

17. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

What's cultural appropriation again? People upset about others dressing in a style for another "culture"?

pssstt... (we're all just like tiny ants floating on a blue ball in the middle of space, just fyi)

18. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

Sounds like PC snowflakes are running things over at Disney.

19. bent christian Suspended

bent christian

@zin needs a safe space.

(HINT: turn off your Internet)

20. impulse462 Suspended

impulse462

On the other hand this movie looks pretty solid actually. Wonder how much time it took to render all that water in the film. I expect this to be nominated for best animated feature but it'll have to be superb to be better than "kubo and the two strings".

As a whole I think the animated feature should be eliminated however

21. zin thread starter macrumors 6502

What's your opinion on the topic?

You won't lose your liberal licence if you agree with me, you know. ;)

22. impulse462 Suspended

impulse462

This personally doesn't offend me, but I understand if it does other people. They see it as their identity and the fact that this was made might make them feel as if their identity was reduced to just a costume for anyone to "try" on and discard.

Doubt anyone here would understand that; just mock it instead, like in this thread.

23. yaxomoxay macrumors 68000

yaxomoxay

Man, it's a costume. People dress like mexican mariachi, catholic priests, sexy nuns, Italian bosses etc.
    Should I get offended if someone dresses up as an Italian Mafia boss? Seriously, this way Halloween is dead. You can't dress up as a zombie because it scares sensitive people, you can't dress up as a sexy nun because Catholics will hate it, and now you can't even dress as a Disney character.

24. impulse462 Suspended

impulse462

You're comparisons aren't apt. Not every Italian is born a mob boss or a nun or a priest. Those are things people choose to be. This costume was meant to be for the character but since it just assumes any the look of any indigenous person they feel their identity is a commodity now.

Again if it were me, I wouldn't care at all but some people do

25. Mac'nCheese macrumors 68030

Mac'nCheese

I get your point but wouldn't it be worse if Disney only put white people in their movies and only had costumes for those white characters. Then, they would be guilty of white washing history. Now, they try and make films for all sorts of people and celebrate those characters and they still can't win!