Disney's ride Pirates of the Caribbean goes PC

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by yaxomoxay, Jul 2, 2017.

1. yaxomoxay macrumors 68000

yaxomoxay

2. citizenzen macrumors 65816

What a shame your kid will miss out on the misogyny and allusions of forced rape.

:( Poor guy.

3. yaxomoxay thread starter macrumors 68000

yaxomoxay

Showing mistreatment, slavery, and abuse is an important part of the explanation of our history and a great way to introduce important topics to kids.
    We're on the way of repeating the darkest traits of our history because of ignorance of past events.

4. MadeTheSwitch macrumors 6502a

MadeTheSwitch

They starting going PC on that ride long ago when they changed the scene of women and men chasing each other to chasing food. Which really makes no sense as none of them looked like they were starving. :D

Personally I think this is a silly change and am going to write them telling them they should worry more about putting a Trump figure into their park...a park where lots of little girls go to. Is it appropriate for someone who talks about where women bleed from and grabbing P to be there? I say no.

Frankly there is only a finite amount of room on that stage anyway and at some point some choices will have to be made. Time to cull the herd and put only good role models in the Hall of Presidents. Or just scrap the show altogether.

5. localoid macrumors 68020

localoid

Let me get this straight...

Pirates of the Caribbean is a "history lesson?"

Seriously?

6. citizenzen macrumors 65816

Sounds like you'd prefer to see the robots actually shooting, stabbing and raping one another.

Maybe Disney shouldn't be your vacation destination.

7. darksithpro macrumors regular

This isn't the first time the Pirates ride went PC. A while back the drunken pirates used to chase the women around as to insinuate they wanted to rape them, now it's reversed. The women are chasing the naughty pirates around with a kitchen roller.

8. citizenzen macrumors 65816

I think I found the theme park you're looking for ...

So many good lessons to learn here.

9. yaxomoxay thread starter macrumors 68000

yaxomoxay

No because that ride was done in good taste.
    What you're referring to is to most movies, rap videos and such.

10. localoid macrumors 68020

localoid

Oh gads, don't get me started on those rap videos... And those damn kids on my lawn.... GET THE HELL OFF, YOU LITTLE HOODLUMS!

11. yaxomoxay thread starter macrumors 68000

yaxomoxay

No. As with many things that some adults (you?) don't understand, kids learn through play. Removing that scene removes a good way to introduce a difficult topic to the younger audience.
    --- Post Merged, Jul 2, 2017 ---
    Kids can play on my lawn. But if I hear one of them saying "hey bitch" to a girl they're in serious trouble with me.

12. citizenzen macrumors 65816

Waitaminnit. You just said, "Showing mistreatment, slavery, and abuse is an important part of the explanation of our history and a great way to introduce important topics to kids."

But only if it's done in good taste? :confused:

I have no words. No words. Most of the time I merely disagree with you. But this time, you are off... the ... rails.

13. yaxomoxay, Jul 2, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 2, 2017

yaxomoxay thread starter macrumors 68000

yaxomoxay

Yeah, it's in good taste given the topic. As many other things are to show discrimination in a sensible way. This was showing something somewhat historical, for about ten seconds if less, on a ride, and even used uncommon words such as wench. It's a good way to introduce a topic.
    What do you get by removing that scene other than feeding PC advocates?

14. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

I don't think they're doing this to be politically correct. Disney is a company that fiercely manages its image. If they're doing this now, they suspect that the current version has the potential to generate bad PR in coming years.

15. Solomani macrumors 68030

Solomani

History is fine. If you want to teach history (including historic rape, slavery, etc) to your kids, then fine. If you want to read them history as it was written in history books, and avoiding PC censorship, that's fine.

But enjoying and being entertained by the themes of rape/slavery/misogyny on a kiddie ride in an Amusement Park does not provide any "historic teaching value".

Did you really think that Disneyland rides were an ideal place for historically accurate educational lessons?

16. yaxomoxay thread starter macrumors 68000

yaxomoxay

Yes, that was one of Disney's goals in building Disneyworld. That's why he created the city of the future (Epcot) in which you can also live Italy as you would get in a classroom, France or other places. That's why he included many historical features in his works and parks, including the entertaining Sound of Music and similar.
    No one said that it's accurate history (accurate history doesn't really exist), but some topics are still used to provide basic introduction to some of the topics.
    So let me ask you. Is it accurate to say that in the times of pirates women were treated as objects? If so, is it good to remove historical context from a ride based on those histotic times just because today some don't like it?
    I mean, part of the ride is about killing other people!

17. citizenzen macrumors 65816

What many other things "show discrimination in a sensible way" at Disneyland?

Please describe.

18. samcraig macrumors P6

Hey - if we can refer to someone's self confession of sexual assault as locker room talk, surely we'll all be ok, right? ;)

19. yaxomoxay thread starter macrumors 68000

yaxomoxay

Nazis in the Indiana Jones stuff is the very first things that pops to mind. Want to get rid of them because they were a bad example?

20. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

This is a difficult topic. On the one hand you shouldn't sugar coat the past, on the other hand as Pirates of the Caribbean is a kids story it's not exactly historically accurate or easy to make clear that what's depicted isn't now acceptable.

21. localoid macrumors 68020

localoid

Digging through our "believe it or not" files: America Almost Had a Disney Theme Park with a Slavery Section

"This park will deal with the highs and lows … We want to make you feel what it was like to be a slave, and what it was like to escape through the Underground Railroad."
    Coming next week: the Disneyfication of history...

22. citizenzen macrumors 65816

You do realize that Disneyland is billed as the, "happiest place on Earth," don't you?

It leads me to wonder what other context could be added to make Disneyland more educational for the kids ...
    • Captain EO could depict children drinking "Jesus juice," being sexually molested and teach about propofol and benzodiazepine intoxication. Yay!!!
    • The African Safari Ride could include scenes of elephants being slaughtered for their ivory. Cool!!!
    • It's a Small World can include terrorist attacks and splatter viewers with fake blood and body parts. Fun!!!
    • Autotopia can include scenes of road rage and carjackings. Neato!!!
    • The Matterhorn can have hourly re-enactments of people buried under avalanches and the desperate rescue attempts to save them before the suffocate to death. Wowsers!!!
    All of these additions would lend historical context and clearly make these rides more fun and educational for kids and adults alike.
    --- Post Merged, Jul 2, 2017 ---
    Clearly, we need to bring that back. What wouldn't please an African-American more than being reminded about the time when they were treated like animals?

23. yaxomoxay thread starter macrumors 68000

yaxomoxay

Ok let's use your meter.
    Let's remove pirates. They killed and pillaged, keeping them would be offensive to all their victims.
    Let's remove Some US presidents. They were slave owners.

24. localoid macrumors 68020

localoid

Come to think of it, isn't Splash Mountain based on "Song of the South"?

25. yaxomoxay thread starter macrumors 68000

yaxomoxay

Yep!