Dispensing with the dog whistles: white supremacist for Trump

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by LizKat, Feb 29, 2016.

1. LizKat macrumors 68040

LizKat

Slate has put up an interview with William Johnson, a white nationalist who runs American National Super PAC to support Trump. Now here's a guy who plays the racial identity card, pedal to the metal. Nothing subtle about his approach at all, just puts it out there. He takes Trump's dog-whistles, amps them up and has been making robocalls into states whose primaries are tomorrow, Super Tuesday. He throws in a "Don't vote for a Cuban, vote for Donald Trump" at the end of the calls. Just in case anyone still thought these GOP contests still involved anyone past Trump, Cruz and Rubio...

Excerpt from the article's introduction:

“The white race is dying out in America and Europe because we are afraid to be called racist,” Johnson said on the calls. “This is our mindset … It’s OK to give away our country for immigration, but don’t call me a racist. It’s OK that few schools anymore have beautiful white children as a majority, but don’t call me racist.” Others fear the taint of racism, Johnson said, but Trump does not. “Don’t vote for a Cuban, vote for Donald Trump,” his message concluded. He gave a phone number that listeners could call for more information.

Johnson is the chairman of the white supremacist American Freedom Party; according to the Southern Poverty Law Center, it was founded by a group of racist California skinheads in 2009. He has called for the deportation of Americans with any “ascertainable trace of Negro blood” or more than one-eighth “Mongolian, Asian, Asia Minor, Middle Eastern, Semitic, Near Eastern, American Indian, Malay or other non-European or non-white blood.” When he is not working toward creating what he calls “separate white ethno-states,” Johnson farms and practices corporate law in Southern California.'

I thought this exchange in the interview was particularly interesting:

Q. Do you worry that your calls could end up damaging Trump in places where your message isn’t popular?

A. No, I don’t think it will hurt the candidate. Donald Trump is really a Teflon candidate, like Reagan was. I need to point out to you that white nationalists are not conservatives. We are populists, along the lines of Huey Long. And the conservatives are really jumping on Donald Trump because he is a populist. So there is a large segment of the voting population that rejects the mean-spirited conservative views that have been the foundation of the Republican Party for a very long time. Populism is replacing conservatism among a large segment of the voting population. And along with that, racial consciousness is also prevalent now, so that’s why we are growing. We are nationalists and we are populists, and that’s exactly what Donald Trump is.

The interviewer asked if Trump or his staff had provided any feedback, and suggested that if they didn't like what Johnson was doing, they could tell him to cut it out. Johnson said they hadn't, wouldn't and that there had been "no communication whatsoever."

Yeah? Well in my opinion, a lack of feedback can be a kind of a dog whistle itself.

2. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

has Hillary renounced the support from the hookers? is she ok with the exploitation of women in that way?

**** a lack of feedback can be a kind of a dog whistle itself.********
    http://www.hookersforhillary.com/

3. WarHeadz macrumors 6502a

WarHeadz

Can't wait for the Trump apologists to accuse you of race baiting OP.
    --- Post Merged, Feb 29, 2016 ---
    There's plenty of Hillary threads, this one is about Trump. Stay on topic and don't deflect.

4. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

ok, Hillary had no problem using racist remarks when it suited her
    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/h-a-goodman/donald-trump-utilizes-racism-_b_8756816.html
    so will you vote for the racist hillary? or is it only bad when the other guys do it?
    http://www.salon.com/2016/02/26/hil...blem_and_its_resurfacing_at_a_dangerous_time/

5. WarHeadz macrumors 6502a

WarHeadz

6. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

stay on topic & don't deflect................. rules for thee but not for me..

7. MacAndMic macrumors 6502

The thread is about an organization using Trumps popularity to spread their message.

I could do the same and say that Trump really likes macrumors. If he does not deny it, then he must right?

8. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

they are happy to shift the goal post as it suits them.

9. steve knight Suspended

steve knight

he can't help himself. when your ship is covered in barnacles it feels better to spread them around.
    macrumors is not making calls in his name or giving him money there is a difference.
    you shift it on every trump post to to hillary over and over and over again.

10. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

Is that a Hillary joke? :p
    Oh please. As shown Hillary has been racist about things and you guys are happy to look the other way

11. steve knight Suspended

steve knight

you must feel trump is not much as you spend so much time deflecting for him. remember he would make you a pool boy.

12. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

With union benefits? sweet. He has a good looking wife and I hope the Daughter if old enough can make me legal. ...

13. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

Lady Gaga sang a fantastic anti-rape song during the Oscars last night. I'm pretty sure it was directed in part at Bill and Hillary Clinton.

14. maxsix Suspended

maxsix

I don't think that any politician can match the way Hillary flops to and fro, in order to manipulate any issue at hand to suite her narrative. Queen of hypocrisy, intimidation and sleight of hand.

Especially a guy from the private sector like Trump, who's never been in politics until now. That's one big advantage. It takes years of practice and hanging with other criminal types to perfect the art of lying as effectively as the Clinton Clan.

When Bubba said "I didn't have sex with that woman" his timing and delivery was flawless. That is his belief, without a conscience he's free to live with complete disregard for others.

15. steve knight Suspended

steve knight

More like make you dead.
    Union trump? Not likely

16. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

Exactly. Silence = consent . Don't forget Hillary was happy to go after the victims

17. LizKat thread starter macrumors 68040

LizKat

This thread is about the founder of a white supremacist PAC that favors Trump and is making racist robocalls to potential supporters of Trump in the GOP primaries being held tomorrow, the "Super Tuesday" contests.

If you have read even the excerpts of the Slate piece, you will note that William Johnson did not call Trump a racist. He said "We are nationalists and we are populists, and that’s exactly what Donald Trump is". He also suggested in his robocalls that fear of being considered racist may be all that prevents some people from expressing anti-immigrant sentiments or dismay over schools where whites are a minority.

Johnson amplifies the underlying values of Trump's remarks that fall outside mainstream appreciation of what is appropriate public commentary on such as race, religion, gender, converting them into material for political robocalls pitching not only a primary vote for Trump but attention to his own politics, which are not conservative or Republican but instead centered in the white supremacist "American Freedom Party."

When a candidate's remarks leave himself open to support of the type Johnson is providing during the GOP primary contests, the candidate's staff needs to try to manage the downside of the possible benefit of such support. Managing it usually amounts to ignoring it until and unless the media pick up on it and it starts to get negative feedback from some other portion of the candidate's potential electorate in the primaries or the general election.

Since Super Tuesday is tomorrow and it's not clear how long the robocalls have been going on, this particular situation looks like mostly upside for Trump, EXCEPT to the extent recipients of the robocall have no sympathy for white nationalists and so may then flip a potential populist vote for Trump into a no-show or a vote for some other candidate. It's not clear what database Johnson's organization is using for guiding the robocalls.

18. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

So how do you feel about the boomers for Hillary and the message they are spreading?

19. steve knight Suspended

steve knight

You can't help yourself can you? Is it like a tick or something? Everytime you see the word trump it seems to trigger a Hillary thought. I get the feeling you don't like trump but you need him for guns so you have to attack Hillary.

20. LizKat thread starter macrumors 68040

LizKat

You mentioned "boomers for Hillary" but then cited the link to "Hookers for Hillary". Surely you don't mean to imply that all of Clinton's supporters are either boomers or sex workers.

If you read the platform of the Hookers for Hillary, you'd see that they favor Affordable Care, disapprove of the Republicans' desire to gut agencies like the FDA and HHS, totally reject supply side economics and have an interesting take on her foreign policy expertise:

So on balance, their platform seems reasonable enough. As for their occupation and what Clinton thinks of it, I could not say. I would expect she'd view the chances somewhat better for women who work at a licensed brothel as opposed to freelancing or working for a drug-slinging pimp. Overalll I'm sure she appreciated their sense of humor.

Poor jk. So sure that Clinton flip-flops on issues but clinging to Trump on guns. Does he realize Trump has been all over the map on everything else? And that Hillary might let him keep his guns? (after all she's pretty blue dog about a lot of things).

Me I go for Sanders at least through the primaries. And for jk... Sanders is from Vermont so he definitely gets it that sometimes you can need a gun if you live in a rural area.

21. jkcerda, Feb 29, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 29, 2016

jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

Said it plenty of times. Its Bernie or trump , it's sad I don't see Bernie getting the nomination.

22. FrankieTDouglas macrumors 65816

I've heard more people mention "dog whistles" this political season than during all of my time spent helping at animal control. Who decided this buzzword should become the new "problematic" of 2016?

23. LizKat thread starter macrumors 68040

LizKat

Answer: whoever in the political zones of mainstream media first realized that we're not actually in a post-racial era in the USA.

24. FrankieTDouglas macrumors 65816

:rolleyes:

25. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

Gramps, what the hell am I paying you for?
    Works for Muslims, right?