Displaying on external monitor & turn off macbook display

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by desertratr, Sep 6, 2008.

1. desertratr macrumors newbie

I am a brand new Macbook user, with extensive Windows experience. I figured out how to mirror the Mac display to the external monitor (clone in Windows-speak). I do not want to span. I want to turn off the Mac display and push the video to the external display (and close the Mac lid completely). Alt-F4 does it in Windows. How do I do it in Mac?

2. avingochea macrumors member

A quick way is to put the computer to sleep by closing it. Then just wake it up by moving BT your mouse or hitting something on your BT keyboard.

3. desertratr thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks. Closing lid and jiggling the mouse woke it up after about 30 seconds or so. Having to enter a PW is a nuisance. Oh well. Being a MAC newbie with 20 years of Windows experience I am sure I have lots to learn. Is BT Bluetooth? I have USB keyboard and mouse. Seems to work fine.

4. *LTD* macrumors G4

*LTD*

Using your Mac with a closed lid can lead to heat problems - in some cases serious.

5. gusost macrumors newbie

Display unmounted...

I am not helped by this. My display broke and I now use the computer soley with external display. I removed the AppleOnboardDisplay.kext. but the olny differense is that, while it still recognises the display it has no drivers for it. I simply want to get rid of it all in all. Can i at least fool the computer that the lid is shut?
    Can it be done? If so HOW?!