Displeased with the cult yuppie social status symbolism of the iPhone...

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by princealfie, Feb 18, 2011.

1. princealfie macrumors 68030

princealfie

I admit that I was a formerly proud owner of the first iPhone (2G) but have disliked the gradually cultish nature of iPhone users over the years. I have met a lot of iPhone users nowadays and strangely enough, a lot of them express a particular self-absorption and lack of interest in the well-being of others for some odd reason.

I know that there isn't a scientific reason/explanation for a device affecting the personality of the iPhone owners or the culture of them as a group, but how can such a device have an impact on the lifestyles of these people. So my question is why are such people who are iPhone users tend to be ego-obsessed, yuppie-like, megacapitalist, arrogant, etc. etc. blah blah?

Case in point: I was on a recent date with lady who owned an iPhone and she couldn't keep her eyes off her iPhone all the time. After all, I would be hoping that I would have a word in straightedgewise once in awhile...?

(Btw, I myself am mostly a Palm Pre Plus and Android user mostly. I do use an iPad and iPhone for my art studio work so I am probably guilty of some of these qualities too?)

Anyways, regardless of political orientation, what is the sociological explanation for the cult yuppish nature and type A personalities of the iPhone owners? Feel free to flame on, but I'm actually interested in reasoned explanations of this mystery. :apple::confused:

2. arkitect macrumors 601

arkitect

She was rude. She probably would have been rude even without an iPhone. Could have been worse. Who knows she might have been making passes at the waiting staff…

But really, OP, the people I know who own and use iPhones are no different from the ones who don't.

Your slightly unsatisfactory romantic encounter might just be colouring your views. ;)

3. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

I guess it is national generalization day. I don't feel as though I'm egotistical for owning anything. I guess it comes from the fact that I choose the phone that works best for me. I also now use a Droid and look at it as frequently as I looked at my previous iPhones.

As for your date, it could be that whatever was on iPhone was far more interesting and engaging than you. It happens, just drop her and find another girl. ;)

4. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

I am neither a yuppie or Type A and I have had an iPhone for a good while
    It just does what I want and need from a device

I don't obsess over it
    I use it without a case or bumper
    I have no idea if it has a dead pixel or not or dust under the screen

I look at it when I get a text alert or an email notification

It is just a smart phone, nothing more, nothing less

5. Centient macrumors 6502

Maybe she thought the iPhone was better company?

Seriously, why you didn't hit her with your iPhone users are self-involved yuppie a-holes hypothesis. I'm sure that would have reeled her back in...

6. Phil A. Moderator

Phil A.

Staff Member

To be honest, I've found it to be the exact opposite here in the UK: The vast majority of people who I see with a smartphone have an iPhone and they just use it without exuding any air of cultishness or perceived superiority.
    As others have said, rude people will be rude irrespective of their choice of gadget...

7. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

It must be down to where you live.

Most of the iPhone owners I know are just normal working class people like myself. It's available on all the main networks in the UK, you can get them free on a £45 contract and it's also on non-contract and PAYG.

It's no longer an exclusive item so I don't see why people would think owning one makes them feel special.

8. mkruck macrumors regular

mkruck

I absolutely agree. I'm an iPhone user, as well as having an iPad (which I don't know how to use) and and iMac (which I don't know how to use), but by gosh, they all look cool.

I derive great pleasure from spitting on the homeless, kicking puppies, cutting in line, checking my Facebook status while trying to pay for my groceries and other boorish behavior, all while using my iPhone. While I don't get a lot of talk time on it since everyone I know is beneath me and not worthy of talking to me on my iPhone, I make sure that everyone in my general vicinity knows that I'm an iPhone user.

9. JRoDDz macrumors 68000

JRoDDz

You should have said "May I see your iPhone for a second?", then grabbed the iPhone and slammed it down on the ground and stomped on it with your boots. Then kindly hand it back to her and say "wow, it really is as durable as I thought".

10. chr macrumors regular

11. ap3604 macrumors 68000

LoL visualizing this made me laugh so hard my roommate woke up :p

thanks for starting my day off with a smile mkruck :)

12. AdeFowler macrumors 68020

AdeFowler

That pretty much sums up everyone I know who has a mobile phone of any kind; they just can't stop fiddling with the bloody things :eek:

13. h1r0ll3r macrumors 68040

h1r0ll3r

Post...of....the.....day :D

14. redwarrior macrumors 603

redwarrior

I think this thread is funny. My BF gave me an iPhone last year, and now I'm on it all the time. I really don't know how I ever lived without it. He is in it with me though; we text each other while sitting side by side, share fun apps, discuss upcoming models/releases. (No we're not teens; both of us are middle-aged geeks.)

I notice people without iPhones more than I do those with them. I feel sorry for the people who don't have one! :eek: NBD though.

My parents have made the comment, while I was having dinner with them once, that I was being rude texting while sitting at the table with them. BUT, in my defense, I rarely take phone calls while out with others. :cool:

15. yourashero macrumors regular

Its really a good way to single idiots out. Not people that use iphones. Just people that think that they've reached a certain status because they have a $200 phone. Its not that great of an accomplishment. If someone really displays being stuck up because they have a fancy phone, then its an easy way to say, "I shouldn't date this person."

I wouldn't separate myself from the phone because you think thats how the majority of its users feel about themselves, because you're really just looking way to far into something as simple as owning a phone, aren't you?

16. Richard1028 macrumors 68000

Dude, you yourself seem to be fascinated (bothered? obsessed?) by people who are fascinated with their iPhones.

Sounds like you have a bigger problem than those you accuse. :D

And Me? I find my iPhone more interesting than half the women I ever dated. Does that mean I'm obsessed or were they just butt ugly?

17. decafjava macrumors 68000

decafjava

Picture this:

1) Middle-aged couple at breakfast, man buried behind newspaper (yes an old fashioned image bear with me) barely acknowledging his wife;

2) Self-absorbed wife chatting on a phone (old rotary fixed phone) barely acknowledging her husband.

3) Modern 21st century couple both absorbed with their smartphone-viva gender equality!! :D

18. mightygitis macrumors 6502

mightygitis

Wirelessly posted (iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_6 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8E200 Safari/6533.18.5)

I think you ar simply running in the wrong circles. I own an iPhone and I donate to charities, volunteer at a local soup kitchen, and am perfectly capably of putting my phone away for a date. I think blamIng on the phone is ridiculous.

19. sdpics macrumors member

Do you know what she was doing on the phone while on your date?

Could have been checking in on a friend or loved one in the hospital, could have been one of those apps that let you monitor your home and she was watching the babysitter to make sure a kid was ok....who knows.

20. heisenberg123 macrumors 603

heisenberg123

is it different for other phone users??

i see people everywhere with their face locked on a device of some kind, blackberry, android, dumbphones, psp, ipod

21. Pink∆Floyd macrumors 68020

Pink∆Floyd

Maybe you weren't attractive enough towards your date...

Just because she didn't like you doesn't necessarily give you a reason to come up with this crap... :rolleyes:

22. macsrcool1234 macrumors 65816

If you're on a date and shes more into her phone than you, then you've obviously blown it.

23. Orion126 macrumors regular

Or texting her bootycall about how she was out with some guy who is paying for her dinner and drinks.

24. huck500 macrumors 6502

huck500

I worried about that kind of stuff when I was in my teens... now I just get the things/music/movies etc. that I want and enjoy and don't worry about the social implications.

That said, almost everyone I know has an iPhone and they're definitely not yuppies, and I think they're all pretty down-to-earth.

25. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Same with me. Some people are just rude and stupid and it isn't confined to iPhone owners.

Harsh!:D