Disqualified.. Give me the benefit of the doubt?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by AppleLover9o, Oct 14, 2010.

1. AppleLover9o macrumors regular

"ALL CONTESTANTS MUST ARRIVE TO THE CORRECT GUITAR CENTER LOCATION AT LEAST 30 MINUTES PRIOR TO THE SCHEDULED START OF THE IN-STORE COMPETITION TO BE ELIGIBLE. ALL CONTESTANTS AGREE THAT THE OFFICIAL TIME SHALL BE DETERMINED BY THE ONSITE GUITAR CENTER ACTING MANAGER AND SHALL BE BINDING. ANY CONTESTANT WHO IS NOT PRESENT AT THE DESIGNATED TIME WILL BE DISQUALIFIED AND WILL NOT BE ELIGIBLE TO COMPETE IN THAT COMPETITION"

I arrived a minute late, literally, and was disqualified. Manager claimed he couldn't do anything.

According the the underlined, he could have, right?

Just wondering.

2. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

Nope he could not have.
    Lets say the start time was 7:30pm. That means you would have to be their by 7:00 by HIS watch. 1 min late and you are out.

Your mistake was pushing it that close to last minute.

Remember this saying.

If you are on time you are late. live and learn.

3. ComputersaysNo macrumors 6502

ComputersaysNo

No. Unless he announced it 30 minutes before, as stated in the first sentence, that he would postpone the deadline with one minute.

4. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

I suppose he could have been more forgiving, but I wouldn't have let you in either.

Was there any doubt that you were late? Do you know what "the benefit of the doubt" means? :confused:

5. Ivan P macrumors 68030

Ivan P

Exactly. Benefit of the doubt means there's no sound evidence that either party is right or wrong. Obviously being even one minute late is a violation of the terms, so I have no idea how 'benefit of the doubt' would even apply.

6. wvuwhat macrumors 65816

wvuwhat

Just take this as a life lesson. We had a professor in college that wouldn't let you show up after the tests started. Out of 180 people in the class during the midterm, over 30 showed up after (honestly, no more than 5 minutes late), there was an alumni event in town and no one could find parking that day. All 30 got zeros, and I have to think all of them had to repeat the course, because there were only 2 grades, this test, and the final that counted towards your final grade.

At least you learned this lesson during a Guitar Center contest and not on a test that would have made you pay another 2000 dollars (as out of state students had to pay to retake the class, 3 credits).

7. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Dude, I'm really not trying to give you a hard time, but I get to work 20-30 minutes early every single day , and trust me, most people don't notice this at all. ;) Nobody except my boss, that is. What everyone will notice is when you're frequently late. Not just your future boss, but all your co-workers, other managers, etc.

One time, I met this girl (really really hot.....36-24-36.... but that's not the point of the story :p) who told me that she used to be late all the time, but her grandmother told her that if you're always late, you give people the impression that your time is important, and their time isn't, and so you can be late, and they need to wait for you.

This girl was an annoying brat, but her grandma had a really good point. ;)

8. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

There is no sense in dwelling on it now, is there?

9. eawmp1 macrumors 601

eawmp1

"If I'm here and you're here, isn't this our time?" - Jeff Spicoli

OP - the scheduled START of the competition was posted; the official TIME was determined by the on-site manager's watch. If his/her watch said you were late, you were late. If it is important, you arrive on (i.e. before) time. When you are famous, you can afford to be d**kishly late.

10. Illuminated macrumors 6502a

Illuminated

My 7th grade science teacher always said this...and I live by it:

To be early is to be on time, To be on time is to be late, to be late is to be inexcusable.

11. fcortese macrumors demi-god

fcortese

+1 My father, who served in the military in WWII, always said there was 3 "time" realities. The time of the day or whenever a meeting/event was supposed to occur, "military" time (5-10 minutes ahead of whenever you are supposed to be someplace) and what my brother and sisters and I referred to as "Big Mike" time-1/2 hour before time! Next time don't cut it so close.

12. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Take this as a lessoned learned. Its better to be early for an appointment then on time. You just don't know if some circumstance may delay you in some way. Planning on being early means that you have some cushion for just those times.

The rules are the rules and clearly the rules as you posted stated that all entrants should be there at least 30 minutes. You showed up a minute after the deadline, so in affect you could view it as being 31 minutes late not one minute

13. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Agreed, if it was that important, why were you timing it so close?

For meetings, I live by this rule: Early is on time. On time is late. Hopefully this experience will help you in the future with better time management.

14. Melrose Suspended

Melrose

You were late, it's your fault. Not his. He may have had the possibility of bending the rules, but it certainly isn't expected or even professional. Even if circumstances were beyond your control, you were still late. :)

It's like people that argue about a speeding ticket because they were only going 1MPH over the limit.. You were still speeding!

15. bruinsrme macrumors 603

bruinsrme

Can't agree more.

Others made it there in accordance with the criteria, I hate when this is said to me but its right, why should an exception be made when others followed the rules.

16. macquariumguy macrumors 6502a

Your 7th grade science teacher was either an idiot or should have been teaching philosophy instead. Maybe both.

17. Melrose Suspended

Melrose

That saying is stupid how, exactly? :confused:

Just caught that. Great song. :cool:

18. RedTomato macrumors 68040

RedTomato

I'm one of these people who is always late. I don't like it much myself either and I'm making huge efforts to improve my timekeeping.

More and more I'm managing to turn up to meetings 10 minutes early, which is great, but sometimes I slip back to being late.

That said, an event like this which is clearly advertised as having registration close at a certain time, I'd just chalk it up to experience. At least you didn't miss your train or your plane. (have done the former many times, and the latter almost, including having to be specially walked through customs by ground staff)

19. Antares macrumors 68000

Antares

Easy: If you are on time, you are on time. You aren't late. It makes no sense to say you are late. Some people really like getting in early to "settle in" and "get ready." Fine. But as long as you get somewhere by the time presribed, you are "on time" ....by every definition of the term. To say otherwise is idiotic.

20. macquariumguy macrumors 6502a

Exactly, except in the sense of making a philosophical statement or saying it as a homily.

Not the sort of thing I'd expect to hear from a science teacher. Scientists and engineering types usually reject such silliness.

21. Melrose Suspended

Melrose

I guess the poetic beauty of a good idiom or quote is lost on the obsessively literal mind. :)

22. AppleLover9o thread starter macrumors regular

Hey all! Thank you for chiming in.

Benefit of the doubt - yea, I used to wrong I think.. It was late, I was ticked off.

Story of the punctuality: It was our fault. I think he could have been less do^^hy, I've seen this rule bent in the past. Guess I don't spend enough money at Guitar Center ;)

Thanks again! I'm pretty over it, and trying not to dwell. We all always wonder what could have been though, right?

23. renewed macrumors 68040

renewed

Seriously. Those posts almost have to be attempts at humor.

24. Melrose Suspended

Melrose

...I'm a bit brain-dead atm. Are you politely agreeing or disagreeing with my earlier post?

25. renewed macrumors 68040

renewed

I'm agreeing. The original saying made perfect sense to me and wasn't intended to be taken literal. We are on the same page :p