Dissabliing updated apps downloading to Watch?

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by Maskusee, Jun 3, 2015.

1. Maskusee macrumors 6502a

Maskusee

I have my watch off for automatic downloading apps, but seems like any app that has an update on my iPhone ends up being "downloaded" to my Apple Watch.

Any way to prevent this???

Thanks

2. Craiger macrumors 6502a

Craiger

Same thing happened to me today. Camera+ updated on my iphone and all of a sudden it is not only installed on my watch, but it also now on my glances. I double checked and in the apple watch iphone app, auto download is off.

3. Maskusee thread starter macrumors 6502a

Maskusee

Yeah, normally it wouldn't be a big deal but it messes up my apple watch home screen and seems like the drains my battery a bit. Today got hit with like 6 apps, including CNN, Twitter, Camera+, ETA, local news app, etc

4. spoa94 macrumors 6502a

spoa94

My watch does this too. I'm assuming it's a bug and not a settings problem

5. menace3 macrumors 6502

menace3

YES. There is a setting to disable automatic downloads. Open Apple Watch app, click GENERAL, then 3rd down is AUTOMATIC DOWNLOADS. Click and slide off.

6. ivandr macrumors regular

The posts above mention that they had already disabled this setting... hence why it is being referred to as a bug.

7. alexcue macrumors regular

alexcue

yes, tried that... it doesn't work. That's the problem, updated apps to the phone cause it to load automatically on the watch. it Sucks

8. iamasmith macrumors regular

iamasmith

Well, currently a Watch app is only an iPhone app with essentially a second screen and input device so this isn't unexpected.

If you try out the SDK your Watch app runs under an iPhone simulator with an extra display attached and there is no separating the two.

The only 'installation' that happens on the watch currently is an icon to trigger the remote session with the iPhone application that the icon belongs to (or a glance).

So basically yes, if you do update an iPhone application you are also updating the same app 'running' on the watch.

Native apps in the future may change all of this of course but it may be that native apps are sent automatically by the parent iPhone app so don't assume anything.

9. spoa94 macrumors 6502a

spoa94

Did you read the thread?? We all have that option on

10. menace3 macrumors 6502

menace3

Gotcha.

That happened to me too and what I found was this.

I deleted an app from my phone but didnt from the watch. I did not think about it really. The particular app was in queue to be updated in a bunch of updates. It added itself back to my watch and my phone. This has happened a few times. I tried out an app and it sucked, but it updated and went right back to both devices

11. menace3 macrumors 6502

menace3

And did you read my further comment below???? We all have the option to read further.

12. Maskusee thread starter macrumors 6502a

Maskusee

But I never had the updated app running on my watch in the first place. It's only running on the iPhone.
    This is why I don't understand why the app is being "installed" on to the watch. When I I first received the watch I added the apps I wanted one by one. The apps mentioned where never added to my watch at any time by me.

13. menace3 macrumors 6502

menace3

Maskusee, could you tell us which apps are doing this? Maybe we can see if we can replicate it. Just wondering if this is a problem with the system overall, or only with certain apps.

When it happened to me, it was Things. I thought it was because i deleted it and it had an update queued and reinstalled itself.

14. alexcue macrumors regular

alexcue

In my case it does it with every app that updates on the iPhone and has a Watch version. Even if I never installed it on the Watch.

edit: Transit just updated on the phone, and of course showed up in the Watch. I don't want it on the watch! LOL

15. melman101 macrumors 68030

I have the opposite problem. I have Apple Watch apps, and when they get updated on the iPhone, they get removed from my Apple Watch. Happened with my citibank lite app. LOL

16. menace3 macrumors 6502

menace3

What about in the app listing itself? When you scroll down to Transit, is show on Apple watch disabled as well?

17. Maskusee thread starter macrumors 6502a

Maskusee

As the previous post mentioned, it seems to happen with every app that is being updated on the iPhone that i never had on the Watch. Here are a few apps that come to mind recently:
    - Twitter
    - Camera+
    - ETA
    - CNN
    - Lifeline
    - Amazon
    -DataMan
    -6ABC Philadelphia
    - Instagram

18. Mascots macrumors 65816

Mascots

So annoying. Every time an app updates that includes a Watch app, it automatically installs for me. I opted to install the apps one-by-one on setup because I didn't want clutter.

There's a difference with the toggle, though: apps that you have installed on your phone that are updated with Apple Watch apps will automatically install, regardless of the toggle. But downloading an app that has a Watch App, with the toggle disabled, doesn't install it on the Watch.

Totally backwards if I had to have it one way.