Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

iPhone 12 Pro Dissapointed in iPhone 12 Pro (coming from 6S)

aneftp

macrumors 601
Jul 28, 2007
The iPhone 6s (and 4S and 8 plus) are iPhone Versions that will stand the rest of time.

iPhone 6s double the ram

iPhone 4s introduced duo core

iPhone 8 Plus A11 processor was significantly faster than A10 plus 3GB ram (yeah I know iPhone 7 Plus had 3GB ram also) but the A11 processor is a beast

people got 5 years easy of use out of the 4s and now 6s.
The 8 plus will be the same way.

Reactions: New York
Comment

Tommy Hewitt

macrumors member
Sep 19, 2013
Replaced my 6s with a 12 and the differences are huge in my opinion. Photos, especially in dark conditions, are way better and I don't have to keep an eye on my battery all the time anymore. Even with a brand new battery the 6s had pretty bad screen-on-time.

Performance wise the 6s is still going strong for its age.

Comment

jonppa

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 22, 2009
Take this as a lesson learned: Don't buy into the hype of what the paid youtubers are promoting, or the Apple/Pixel/Samsung fanboys are saying. Read widely, and do your own testing and see for yourself if the product works best for you.

Well, didn't I just do it that way :) Only mistake I made is that I believed that the differences would be large after 5 generations of iPhone.

I did my own testing and found that this product isn't "best" for me. I can easily live without.

The photos shot on your iPhone 12 will be better compared to your 6S, but I believe your expectations are unrealistically high if you believe the 12 (before you purchased it) was comparable to a decent DSLR (especially so in less than ideal lighting situations).

iPhone 12 photos are better than 6S, for sure. My expectations were set by the 5 generations and by Apple hyping their computational photography. I didn't really believe that it would be in par with DSLR either.

They can now take pictures that are pleasing to look at and capture the essence of the scene in situations (fast movement, low light, etc) that would take a highly skilled photographer with very expensive equipment, often requiring a tripod and/or flash to replicate with a DSLR - none of which is practical for day to day use.

Are saying that iPhone 12 Pro can replace skilled photographer with expensive equipment AND tripod? I have to disagree ;)

Comment

saber32au

macrumors regular
Apr 5, 2019
Well, didn't I just do it that way :)

Aye you did!
Only mistake I made is that I believed that the differences would be large after 5 generations of iPhone.
That's fair enough, and certainly not an unreasonable exception.

I did my own testing and found that this product isn't "best" for me. I can easily live without.

Same here. I still rock an older iPhone, and don't intend to update until the my phone isn't supported with iOS updates.

Comment

remington79

macrumors regular
Apr 11, 2020
I have both phones, and the photos of the iphone 12 pro are infinitely better than the X, in all situations. Can you show that test video?
Looking at reviews the pictures from the SE2 look better than the X.

Comment

johnnylarue

macrumors 6502a
Aug 20, 2013
have you replaced the battery yet? I did mine last year and I'm running ios14.1 and still holding ok
Yeah I got a new battery at the end of the discounted battery replacement program (whenever that was...?) Health is back down to 83%. The charge just nosedives after 6pm.

I’m at the point now where it just feels like it’s time for an upgrade (especially in the camera department.) The 6S has been a hell of a phone though, I gotta say. Hope my next one lasts this long!

Comment

johnnylarue

macrumors 6502a
Aug 20, 2013
I’m on a launch 7. Been tempted to upgrade every year but my 7 is still awesome and super fast. I like getting my money’s worth out of things too.

However, if there is the 120hz screen next year I won’t be able to resist. It will actually change the way interacting with the phone feels. I’ve used promotion on an iPad Pro and once you do everything else feels choppy for awhile. I can’t wait.

Hold on to your 6S for one more year and then you should actually feel a difference!
I love my iPad Pro and for sure the smoothness of the 120Hz display is nice, but it’s not like my eyes are blinded by the choppiness and mediocrity of my small 6S screen when I look at them side by side.

It’s a feature that gets a lot of traction on this forum and obviously every phone will have it eventually and that’s great, but all things told it’s really low on my priority list, especially for a smaller phone display. I don’t consider it a game-changer the way, say, low-light photo performance was improved with the 11.

Comment

jonppa

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 22, 2009
Maybe from my part this thread is done. I have been horrible whining snowflake for enough long :D :D

My iPhone 12 Pro started its journey back to Apple today.Of course I feel sad because I wished it would have been as awesome as Airpods Pro or Apple Watch. I really wanted it to be. All the waiting for the release, all the hype from the release event, waiting for order to arrive on launch day .. and then this. Feels a bit empty. My 6S asks every time I open it with touch ID that do I still love it. Looks me with sad eyes.

I will look how Pro Max will perform but probably will skip that too. Hope Apple will introduce power-button Touch ID phone next year with Pro Max camera technology. That would probably keep my mouth shut :)

Comment

Stan.06

macrumors member
Oct 18, 2020
Maybe the Iphone SE 2020 will suit you better?
It seems that the only thing you miss about the new Iphone is the touch id sensor.

Reactions: johnnylarue
Comment

johnnylarue

macrumors 6502a
Aug 20, 2013
Maybe the Iphone SE 2020 will suit you better?
It seems that the only thing you miss about the new Iphone is the touch id sensor.
When you consider that it actually costs less than the 6S did when it was released... it’s a pretty sweet deal.

Comment

Racineur

macrumors 6502
Jun 11, 2013
Montréal, Québec
When you consider that it actually costs less than the 6S did when it was released... it’s a pretty sweet deal.
Good thinking but good only if you have normal expectations in the photo department. I'm so tired of these threads about the PQ of a Phone. It's a Phone not a DSLR. (See post about sensors) Get that in your head and be satisfied with what you're getting. If you're plan to run a photo studio, you know what you have to do. Can someone explain to me why there is no mention at all of the quality of the speaker of a phone. No mention of the clarity of the voice. Always the same story: photo, photo, photo, photo. So if I understand, 5 billion of human beings ont this Earth nowadays buy an iPhone or any phone to take pictures. The never call anybody. So if I were Apple, I'd turn thing around: I'd get the iPhone rid of its call capabilities and focus on the camera to make it a super small pocketable DSLR killer and I'd invent a device dedicated to make and receive calls.

Reactions: johnnylarue
Comment

johnnylarue

macrumors 6502a
Aug 20, 2013
Good thinking but good only if you have normal expectations in the photo department. I'm so tired of these threads about the PQ of a Phone. It's a Phone not a DSLR. (See post about sensors) Get that in your head and be satisfied with what you're getting. If you're plan to run a photo studio, you know what you have to do. Can someone explain to me why there is no mention at all of the quality of the speaker of a phone. No mention of the clarity of the voice. Always the same story: photo, photo, photo, photo. So if I understand, 5 billion of human beings ont this Earth nowadays buy an iPhone or any phone to take pictures. The never call anybody. So if I were Apple, I'd turn thing around: I'd get the iPhone rid of its call capabilities and focus on the camera to make it a super small pocketable DSLR killer and I'd invent a device dedicated to make and receive calls.
I’ve had the same thought!😂 A dedicated camera with the iPhone’s CPU and computational abilities would be pretty intense. And it’s somewhat ironic that the big camera brands will likely never have access to the kind of r&d money that Apple do when it comes to the computational side of things. It’ll take teamwork... and/or a corporate takeover.

But obviously the idea is to have “the best camera possible” in your pocket at all times. All kinds of photos can be bought and sold—not just the ones that were shot on $7000 worth of kit. People want one gadget that does everything, and as few compromises as possible. That’s the dream, anyway.

I’m with you regarding reviews, though—it’s pretty ironic that few iPhone reviews even bother to mention call quality, mic quality or audio in general. To many people it’s a “phone” in name only. Go figure.

Comment

DumbPhone

macrumors 6502
Sep 6, 2020
you can make so the unlock with face ID will go to home screen in the accessibility setting switch control recipes. I did it before. I only use face id when i travel. it long time for me travel because stupid covid stupid thing :(

Comment

Sam in SoCal

macrumors 6502a
Oct 13, 2019
I don’t get it. If you’re happy with your iPhone 6s(2015 release) then why bother spending time in the iPhone portion of the forums? You’re clearly a person who would hold on to a phone for 10 years or more if you could. You’re the dude that still has his 1994 celica running. You take pride and honor in beating the system and poo poo everyone’s vulgar display of consumerism. I’ll order a truckload of cookies from Oreo and hold a cookie party for all the iPhone 6s owners.

That aside. If your 6s does everything you need it to do for your life and don’t see the value of the latest stuff then alright. Enjoy.

Comment

-BigMac-

macrumors 68000
Apr 15, 2011
Melbourne, Australia
The swipe to open with Face Id is so you can see and read the notifications on your lock screen. Lock screen notifications would be completely useless if every time you looked at your phone it opened to the homepage.
This. OP just doesn't know how the OS works, or what the reasoning behind the functions are.

Comment

jonppa

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 22, 2009
you can make so the unlock with face ID will go to home screen in the accessibility setting switch control recipes. I did it before. I only use face id when i travel. it long time for me travel because stupid covid stupid thing :(

You are the first one to tell about this. I tried to look around in accessibility and googling around but didn't find solution. Hope you can tell step by step how you did this, there are many people who would like to have this.

Comment

jonppa

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 22, 2009
You’re clearly a person who would hold on to a phone for 10 years or more if you could.

Yes if the new versions aren't bringing anything worth investing in. I also want to be true to myself and not going after the hype. I will buy new phone immediately whenever I feel the old phone doesn't work as expected - for example being slow or doesn't have a feature I need.

The money isn't really the problem here. It is price-value problem. I just can't live with a product that I'm dissapointed in. Also I don't buy new iPhone for "status symbol".

Now having used 6S for few days there isn't really anything that I'm missing from 12 Pro.

Reactions: Guacamole
Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.