Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mc68k

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Apr 16, 2002
Does SETI, Folding, etc. make your processor life shorter? All that time at ~100% usage can't be good for it...or for the machine for that matter...

This is just a general question. My G4 is cooled w/ a Delta fan, Swiftech Heatsink, and Arctic Silver thermal paste. As for the internal, it's like constantly ripping a CD. I'm afraid of breaking my processor keeping it on all the time, it's just a couple months old.

Thanks for your feedback.

AlphaTech

macrumors 601
Oct 4, 2001
Natick, MA
I'd give it a break from time to time... I always shut my systems off when I am done using them (either at home or work), and they have treated me very well. I have very, very few issues with any of my systems where people running their systems for days on end have them crop up. I have yet to get a kernal panic on my new system, or the old, that was the computer's fault. They were on boot, and had to do with incompatible memory for the old TiBook and the wrong OS version on a hard drive that I was transplanting into the new TiBook.

Maybe give it a few nights a week off, or such.

MacAztec

macrumors 68040
Oct 28, 2001
San Luis Obispo, CA
Hmmm

I say screw doing that crap.

I didnt spend 3,000 dollars on a computer so it can run SETI and use the processor all the time.

I mean, they have SUPER computers over there that are designated to do so. Just let it happen on their end....

Rower_CPU

Moderator emeritus
Oct 5, 2001
San Diego, CA
With adequate cooling your CPU should live just as long as if it were idling the whole time.

It's only when chips' heat increase past a certain level that you start to see detrimental effects.

But an occasional rest probably won't hurt.:)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.