Dittoheads: Don't Start Thinking For Yourselves Now

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Kashchei, Feb 25, 2009.

1. Kashchei macrumors 65816

Kashchei

I can't believe how transparent Rush is in browbeating his listeners into agreeing with him on every issue, in this case, thinking that Jindal gave a good speech last night. Why would anyone with a sense of freewill want to listen to this man?

2. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

The only person on this forum that I know of that has ever listened to Rush was leekholer and it wasn't because he liked him. So I don't think you'll find many of your "dittoheads" here.

I don't listen to Rush or Hannity and don't plan to. I also don't listen to that smug half-wit Olbermann either. :)

3. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

'Rat's a pretty avid listener of the AM dial.

4. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

Limbaugh and people of his ilk are loudmouths who tell people what they want to hear, and fan any sparks of intellectual laziness into a blazing willful ignorance.

This isn't confined to conservative pundits only BTW, but Limbaugh is as bad as anybody if not the worst.

5. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Occasionally, listening to Hanity keeps my righteous ire intact. However, I cannot stand much. Five minutes, tops.

6. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

7. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

I sometimes listen to Limbaugh on my five-minute-long drive home, which coincides nicely with how long I can stand the man.

Limbaugh is slipping quite a bit. He used to be so Machiavellian in the way he'd take the day's events and turn them around to convince you that you really saw the exact opposite of what you thought you saw. Peace is war. Slavery is freedom. Ignorance is strength.

That's why I tuned the guy in occasionally. I had this horrified fascination with his reality distortion field.

Have you listened to him the last couple of weeks? He's reduced to saying that you can't believe Obama, and whatever he says, the reverse is true. That's his argument, and he just keeps repeating it. He sounds like a little kid playing "opposite day".

What, for him, used to be a semi-coherent alternate-universe view of the world has become a sad platitude.

And this is the titular head of the Republican party?

(BTW, Countdown is in my iTunes subscription list. :D )

8. Desertrat macrumors newbie

I catch parts of his programs when I'm driving at that time of day. Mostly, on my trips back and forth from west Texas to Georgia, every month or three. I find him amusing, and it's better than Top 40 anything.

He agrees with me about half the time, so it's sorta nice to see a young fella who's at least a little bit together. :) He's pretty good on economic analysis, much of the time. He's a fair student of human nature and thus pretty good at analyzing why politicians do what they do. Otherwise he's about like any other young guy with opinions. It's fair to say that he's a right-wing Molly Ivins.

Probably the key to his success is that he's fully aware that he's in the entertainment business, which many commentators don't seem to realize. It doesn't matter how knowledgeable you are, how sincere you are, or how pretty you are. If you can't hold people's attention and build an audience, your radio or TV stations can't sell advertising. Simple as that.

:), 'Rat

9. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

The problem with Rush may be that while he knows he's in the entertainment business, a lot of his listeners do not.

10. Desertrat macrumors newbie

"The problem with Rush may be that while he knows he's in the entertainment business, a lot of his listeners do not."

That just shows to go ya that he's pretty talented and skilled at what he does. It's not Rush's problem, it's the other folks' problem.

Kinda like Liberace: "Cries all the way to the bank."

11. Peace macrumors P6

Peace

I have never listened to Rush and never will. Faux news is banned in my household.

As of late so is Lou Dobbs. I'm sick of the guy.

12. maestro55 macrumors 68030

maestro55

Yeah, and there are people who not think for themselves who listen to Air America radio. I hate Rush but will say that anyone who listens to any talk radio and doesn't think for themselves is not doing themselves a service

13. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

If all we're going to do is take pundits' opinions as our own, why vote? We might as well Just let the Liberal pundits and Conservative pundits do all the thinking.

14. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Oh lord. I just checked out the link in Kashchei's original post.

Okay, so here no one's even allowed to criticize's Jindal's style. Because Rush has this vision of this guy being "brilliant", reality must be shoehorned to fit the vision. He didn't give a bad speech. It must be your ears.

Right there is a big difference between liberals and conservatives. Whereas we criticize guys like John Kerry for being wooden, no criticism is allowed of any Republican whom Rush has decided is the Annointed One.

Oh God...it has a name now? Rushism? Really?

Well, maybe it won't be so bad. I'm sure it'll quickly end up earning the same ignominious reputation as such phrases as "trickle-down economics" and "compassionate conservative".

Then get a room.

15. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

And I just watched Windbag in that clip. The guy has come completely unhinged. He's really lost his mind. I loved his atheist thing. Don't know about the rest of you, but I've been in life-threatening situations before, and I didn't suddenly start praying to God. I started thinking about what a good life I'd had, and well, this might just be it and some new adventure is maybe gonna start.

Limbaugh needs his meds checked.

That's his excuse. Limbaugh knows damn well the effect he has on his listeners. They're the only people allowed to call in to his show!

It may not be his problem, but if Limbaugh is looking for a solution, he certainly isn't part of that either. He's simply another part of the problem.

16. bobber205 macrumors 68020

bobber205

Rush should run for president with Palin as VP again.

First 80-20% vote in history. (I think).

17. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

Lies. No one listens to Air America. :rolleyes:

18. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

Remember, Rush considers himself a king-maker. He's supporting Jindal because he believes Jindal can help the GOP, everything else is a secondary concern. Rush is an empty hat.

You could say the same thing about any grifter who passed through town.

Something a Vietnam vet told me about the phrase "there are no atheists in foxholes." He said everyone is an atheist, because when you're in that kind of hell you realize there is no god.

True or not, it certainly made me think about the idea.

Now that's just funny. Is Air America still on?

19. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Always the king-maker, never the king...

20. Peace macrumors P6

Peace

21. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

22. Queso macrumors G4

I tried to listen to a show once. Couldn't carry on after the first 10 minutes or so. It wasn't anything to do with his politics. It's just he rambles so much it was extremely difficult to listen to. Constantly going off on tangents to his main point.

IMO if you took his politics out of the show he wouldn't get very many listeners. Probably why he plays the show as he does.

23. Desertrat macrumors newbie

Queso, I guess it's the jumping around by El Rushbo that I find amusing. When he natters on at great length on one subject, I punch one of the "elsewhere" buttons on the ol' radiddio.

The scary part of any of talk radio isn't the hosts. Liberal or conservative or "advice in general". It's the people who call in. You want weird or stupid? Listen for a bit to Dr. Ruth or to Dave Ramsey. It's not the advice, it's the terminal whatzits of the callers! And they can vote! Arrggghhhh!

:D, 'Rat

24. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

I peeked in on Uncle Rush addressing the CPAC conference. Same old crap. Setting up false choices (Rep. vs. Dem. is a contest between good and evil; bipartisanship doesn't work) and misrepresentation (Democrats want everyone in houses they can't afford).

The people attending this thing, lemme tell you where their heads are at. Rush says "John Kerry..." (sustained boos) "...served in Vietnam..." (sustained laughter). They think it's funny that Kerry served in Vietnam.

Of course, why expect any kind of class at all from a bunch of people that host Rush and Ann Coulter at their convention?

25. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Its appalling actually, he opens with a joke about Larry King dying??

It amazes me this is the party that threw as much "celebrity" crap at Obama as they could yet they seem to have NO LEADERSHIP that isnt some sort of pathetic figure head. Seriously, the keynote is given by Rush? They praise Joe the plummer, a celebrity that THEY made. The hypocrisy is astounding yet they either ignore it or are somehow thoroughly convinced it isn't there.

The thing that sickens me the most is Rush's accusation "Why does Obama want to destroy what America is is??" Appalling, its not the thinking that his policies will hurt more than help, its that his mission is to destroy America.

I really hope someone tears this speech apart, and on a massive scale so people can see the disgusting mindset that these people have.