Diversity

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by mscriv, Feb 6, 2015.

1. mscriv macrumors 601

mscriv

I attended a full day of Continuing Education for my professional license yesterday and one of the sessions was on "Diversity". The speaker gave the following information as a way to spur discussion.

I found this breakdown of information very interesting. As you look over it what thoughts or emotions result for you?

As we further discussed diversity we talked a lot about privilege. An interesting point he made regarding the topic was "Recognizing our own privilege brings up many different emotions. None of them comfortable".

The speakers overall point was that as caregivers for others (therapists, social workers, etc.) we need to be self-aware regarding diversity issues and intentional about discussing those issues and their impact upon us, others, our relationships, and our culture as a whole.

I thought this would be an interesting discussion for us at MR as I know we have a diverse population of members here.

2. Technarchy macrumors 603

Technarchy

The reason the American workforce is getting increasingly squeezed and muscled is we waste hours in useless classes about diversity.

Thats my opinion.

3. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

Hiring under the banner of diversity is nothing more than racism/discrimination , same goes for schools

4. mscriv thread starter macrumors 601

mscriv

I'm not sure I follow what you are saying. Can you elaborate? What specifically are you meaning when you say "squeezed and muscled"?

5. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

6. Bug-Creator macrumors 6502

Bug-Creator

Wow, 2 replys and both waaaaaaaaaaay of tangent......

7. mscriv thread starter macrumors 601

mscriv

So, when you hear/see the word "diversity" your first thought is affirmative action in the workplace and education arenas... hmmm... that's interesting. I'm curious, is this personal for you? Do you feel that yourself or someone you know has been the target or victim of "reverse discrimination" as it's sometimes called.

8. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

All of these sounds massively outdated statistics to me...

The PC and the smartphone are both at ~20% of the world these days - source.

I can't believe only 70 million people in the world have been to college, I'd have thought that was a low estimate for China, India or the US alone.

9. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

Actually it's an acknowledgement of an unlevel educational playing field, and that there is value to pushing integration of different groups living in the same society.

10. mscriv thread starter macrumors 601

mscriv

Sorry, I can't speak to the accuracy of the numbers/statistics. He didn't provide a source, but worldwide they don't sound that unreasonable to me.

11. citizenzen macrumors 65816

Affirmative Action is one of the most misunderstood and vilified programs in the U.S.

I've served on numerous hiring committees (on a new one right now) at a state university and we have never been advised to hire anybody but the most qualified candidate for the job.

Affirmative Action simply guides us to not disqualify a candidate based on race, ethnicity, age, gender, religion, etc., alone. These factors alone are not enough to disqualify a candidate and none of these factors should be a basis for choosing one.

12. Technarchy macrumors 603

Technarchy

You can't speak on the accuracy but you're happy to regurgitate.

And this is why diversity requirements in academics are suspect. People would be much better served with more math, science, quantitative literacy and critical thinking when it comes to working and navigating life in general.

13. mscriv thread starter macrumors 601

mscriv

I appreciate the information. I'm hoping that jkcerda will further explain his/her response to the topic at hand. It's interesting to me when someone's initial reaction to a subject is negative and I want to better understand his/her perspective.

Do you have any other thoughts on the topic as a whole?

14. citizenzen macrumors 65816

I don't think it's meant to be accurate.

It's an illustration.

The message behind the numbers is more important than the exact numbers themselves.

15. Technarchy macrumors 603

Technarchy

What message, to what point exactly?

Sourceless info graphics should never pass off as poignant. Propaganda maybe. Pablum for easily led and influenced certainly. Nothing more.

16. citizenzen macrumors 65816

To be aware at how diverse the world (other people) are.

To be prepared for that diversity in order to be a better caregiver.

17. mscriv thread starter macrumors 601

mscriv

Wow, Technarchy! Am I doing something wrong by starting a discussion about a topic? Is it somehow irresponsible of me to post information about a subject without being able to 100% verify down to the hundreth decimal place the statistics as given? Anyone can feel free to disagree with the figures and one poster has already voiced his skepticism. That's fine, the whole point is to share ideas and opinions and to learn from one another.

I thought the session was interesting and the topic is definitely valuable to my profession as a therapist. Learning to successfully navigate "life in general" requires a variety of skills, not just those in the math and sciences. I don't want to mischaracterize your position, but it sounds like you are saying that learning about others is worthless. Am I understanding you correctly? Do you believe that learning how to build and maintain relationships with those who are different from you has no value?

18. Mac'nCheese macrumors 68030

Mac'nCheese

It's personal to me. I am very liberal in most areas. But thanks to "reverse discrimintion" "the race card" and the like, I find myself more and more skeptical of any kind of diversity initiative. I can go into more details but it can all be brushed off as just someone who is bitter about one example of diversity or whatever gone bad. Not sure if anyone cares tbh.

19. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

I didn't see "diversity" &just went off, I read the rest of your post
    hence my answer.

20. Populism macrumors regular

Populism

It appears some people think accurate source information is very, very important.

At least until inaccurate source information tells the narrative they want.

Today:

Yesterday:

What a difference a day makes.

21. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

what was the age/sex/ethnicity of the speaker.

22. mscriv thread starter macrumors 601

mscriv

Thank you so much for sharing your experience and the impact it has had upon your views. One of the points yesterday's speaker made was that we, both as individuals and as a society, are still trying to navigate this emotionally charged aspect of life. There is no doubt that our history is littered with examples of ignorance and abuses when it comes to diversity issues. I also have no doubt that as we try to make progress that sometimes the pendulum swings too far in the opposite direction people get hurt, abused, or wronged in the process.

23. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

some like the shifting goal post, say it ain't so:p

----------

then perhaps the topic should be "guilt".

24. mscriv thread starter macrumors 601

mscriv

Ooh, great question! What do you think, care to take a guess? Is the age/sex/ethnicity of the speaker relevant?

Can you expound, what are you implying?

25. Populism macrumors regular

Populism

So, the source information is not relevant.

The speaker's stats are not relevant.

So, what is relevant? Race baiting?