Diverting selected contacts only

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Dorsey, Apr 4, 2012.

1. Dorsey macrumors newbie

Hi guys

I currently run my business via mobile (Blackberry) instead of landline, I then run a separate mobile line for personal calls (iPhone).

If I was to switch everything over to iPhone, is there any way of me having all business contacts diverted to voicemail outside of working hours whilst still letting personal calls through?

2. xnickitynickx macrumors regular

xnickitynickx

I think there is an app you can get that essentially creates a second phone number than you can use and set up to only work during selected times. When it's outside those times, it will go to a vmail.

Sounds like it'd work for you

3. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

There is no way to do what you are wanting to do outside of setting up a google voice which will ring one, or both lines as needed. The number that your clients would have to call is the google voice number, and not the number of either mobile line.

4. Dorsey thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the replies guys!

It's a bit of a bummer as I've recently had loads of new stationary printed up with my existing number on.

Whats the call quality of Google Voice like?

5. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

Google voice call quality will be exactly the same as whatever line you answer it on. It is not a VOIP service. It is literally just routing calls. So if you pick up on your iPhone, it will sound like your iPhone would, had the caller called that number directly. If you answer on your blackberry, the same applies in terms of the blackberry's call quality.

The neat thing about google voice is that if a person leaves a voicemail, you can configure GV to transcribe the message and send it as a text. This way you don't necessarily have to listen to the VM at all. It works very well, unless the caller has a strong foreign accent.

I forgot to mention that, AFAIK, Sprint is the only company this far that will let you port your mobile number straight to Google voice. So, if your Blackberry happens to be on Sprint, you could use that number as your GV number as well. I do believe that GV is also limited to the USA at this point in time.

6. xnickitynickx macrumors regular

xnickitynickx

7. Dorsey thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks. Really does sound like a fantastic product but unfortunately I'm UK based. What a shame...