Divorce: What happens to my wifes apps/music?

Discussion in 'iOS Apps' started by Mad Mac Maniac, May 16, 2012.

1. Mad Mac Maniac macrumors 601

Mad Mac Maniac

A little bit of here and a little bit of there.
    So my wife just got an iPhone 6 months ago and of course we used my iTunes ID on her iPhone, so she would have access to my mountains (exaggerate much?) of apps. Now we are going to be congenially part ways through divorce, so I obviously don't want her to be able to purchase apps/music through my iTunes account.

I know she will simply be able to log out of my iTunes under settings and log in under hers, but does anything happen to any of the apps/music that is currently on her iPhone that was purchased through my iTunes account? Or will she simply lose the ability to redownload them if she were to delete them off her iPhone?

2. MEJHarrison macrumors 6502a

Those apps and music should stay on her phone. If you plan to change your password and not share with her, she won't be able to get any updates down the line.

I just share my password with my ex. She doesn't screw me over on apps or music and is good about letting me know about purchases. Eventually we'll fix that, but for now, we have bigger fish to fry. And since she's playing nice, I have no issues with that arrangement.

My thought was when the time came, she can simply re-purchase the few apps she uses and be good to go. Then everything can happen from her account.

Not sure about music. I suspect what is on her phone is hers to keep.

3. Mad Mac Maniac thread starter macrumors 601

Mad Mac Maniac

A little bit of here and a little bit of there.
    she wouldn't be able to get app updates? So if she changes her iTunes account, but tries to update an app that was downloaded from my account she'll get a little popup requiring her to enter MY iTunes password instead of her iTunes account?

4. ObsidianIce macrumors 6502

ObsidianIce

pretty much anything bought under your account..she can keep...till she tries to sync her own stuff to it. she won't be able to update anything. basically she's probably going to need to rebuy the apps that she wants if she plans to ever be able to update her phone.

5. MEJHarrison macrumors 6502a

Yes, you pretty much got it. Makes sense. YOU can't update your apps without inputting your password. So she will suffer the same consequences. Without your new password, she won't be able to update. Or she'll need to re-purchase those on an account where she DOES have the password.