DNC Hack: Guccifer 2.0 confirmed as Russian Intelligence Officer

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by R.Perez, Mar 23, 2018.

1. R.Perez macrumors 6502

R.Perez

From the article:

Guccifer 2.0, the “lone hacker” who took credit for providing WikiLeaks with stolen emails from the Democratic National Committee, was in fact an officer of Russia’s military intelligence directorate (GRU), The Daily Beast has learned. It’s an attribution that resulted from a fleeting but critical slip-up in GRU tradecraft
    Trump’s longtime political adviser Roger Stone admitted being in touch with Guccifer over Twitter’s direct messaging service. And in August 2016, Stone published an article on the pro-Trump-friendly Breitbart News calling on his political opponents to “Stop Blaming Russia” for the hack. “I have some news for Hillary and Democrats—I think I’ve got the real culprit,” he wrote. “It doesn’t seem to be the Russians that hacked the DNC, but instead a hacker who goes by the name of Guccifer 2.0.”
    Working off the IP address, U.S. investigators identified Guccifer 2.0 as a particular GRU officer working out of the agency’s headquarters on Grizodubovoy Street in Moscow. (The Daily Beast’s sources did not disclose which particular officer worked as Guccifer.)
    In his inaugural blog post, Guccifer 2.0 disputed Russia’s involvement and claimed credit personally for the DNC breach, positioning himself as a one-time hacking operation working to expose “the Illuminati.” The post included the world’s first glimpse of the enormous cache of documents siphoned from the DNC’s network, including the Democrats’ opposition research report on Trump. Presaging the leaks that would roil the election, Guccifer 2.0 declared that he’d already sent the bulk of the stolen material to WikiLeaks—which has spent the time since obfuscating whether Guccifer was its source.
    Last May, Stone admitted that he’d also exchanged direct messages with the Guccifer 2.0 persona, and he released what he claimed was a complete transcript of his communications with the account. The transcript is brief and banal, showing Stone congratulating Guccifer 2.0 on returning to Twitter after a brief suspension, and then mostly ignoring him. Then and since, Stone has consistently denied that Guccifer was connected to the Kremlin.

Source

2. chagla macrumors 6502a

chagla

Trumpers will still say no Russian link! I wonder what the reaction would be if hacker was from Iran?

3. samcraig macrumors P6

4. R.Perez thread starter macrumors 6502

R.Perez

This proves unwitting collusion. I mean, how much evidence do we need at this point?

5. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Guccifer was a Russian spy? I’m shocked, shocked!

6. mac_in_tosh macrumors 6502

mac_in_tosh

7. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

Unwitting collusion isn't collusion at all if you are trying to draw lines from Trump to Russia.

8. samcraig macrumors P6

If it's isolated to that, perhaps you have an argument to make. But if unwitting turns into coverup/obstruction and actual collusion - then lines can be drawn... TBD

9. vrDrew macrumors 65816

Except for

Maybe Trump was just speaking hypothetically. But the "unwitting" thing starts to strain credibility when you have Trump's son-in-law, eldest son, and campaign manager meeting with a Russian spy, who promises compromising material on his political opponent. And then lying about it. That meeting took place on June 9, 2016. About six weeks before Trump made this (outrageous, at the time) suggestion in public.

For the record, at the very time that Trump called on Russia to leak Hillary Clinton's e-mails, Russian intelligence officials were overseeing a project to hack into DNC and Clinton campaign servers. And later on discussed the release of some of that material with Roger Stone, whose connections with Trump go back many years.

This is just my speculation, but the two witnesses that will conclusively prove the extent of Trump's cooperation with Russian meddling in our election will be Roger Stone and Julian Assange. I would be very surprised indeed if the Mueller people weren't working on ways to bring those two jokers in front of a Grand Jury.

10. duffman9000 macrumors 68000

duffman9000

This can't be real. Trump told us that it's probably some 400lb person living in their parent's basement.

11. iLunar macrumors 6502

iLunar

Trumpsters will keep their heads in the sand and say it's not Russia! No Collusion! Trump tweeted there's no collusion! And he never lies...ever! He's never settled a lawsuit for $25 million for defrauding American citizens. He hasn't gone through two National Security Advisors in a matter of 14 months. He's never had his campaign managers plead guilty and meet with Russians. Never!

:rolleyes:

12. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Sock Puppet intelligence asset is sock puppet.

13. JayMysterio macrumors 6502

JayMysterio

...And the hair splitting semantics begin...

14. samcraig macrumors P6

Have we seen a picture of Guccifer? He might be 400lbs and live in his parent's basement

15. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

You can't prove collusion with an entity if the side colluding did it unwittingly. That would be like charging a bank teller for assisting in a theft when she accepted stolen cash for deposit.

16. samcraig macrumors P6

See post 8. Commit it to memory. Because until Mueller releases his findings or hands over an indictment - you or I can't "prove" anything.

17. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

18. jerwin macrumors 68020

"Know your customer."
    --- Post Merged, Mar 23, 2018 ---

19. haxrnick macrumors 6502a

haxrnick

Yes, grew up with him in AOL/AIM chats.

20. ViperDesign macrumors 6502a

ViperDesign

But what if she knew it was stolen cash?

21. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

How about his handler? You know, after he flipped?

Just asking...no links at all to Guccifer 2.0....

22. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

That happens if your money laundering processes aren’t strong enough

23. LizKat macrumors 601

LizKat

I'm going to name my next two cats No Collusion and Fake News in honor of this fascinating period of American history.

24. samcraig macrumors P6

Makes sense since cats spend most of their time lying.

25. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

Then it wouldn't be unwittingly done.