DNC: The new political low...

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by yaxomoxay, Jul 28, 2016.

1. yaxomoxay macrumors 68020

yaxomoxay

The father of a Muslim America soldier that died in Iraq gave a (very heartfelt) speech about Truml that didn't sacrifice anything, especially compared to his late son.
    Two points:
    1) Hillary, Bill, or Chelsea didn't really sacrifice anything... they didn't exactly join the Army
    2) hem... Don't tell the father, but it's Hillary that voted to send his son to war and die...

2. Mac'nCheese macrumors 68030

Mac'nCheese

You missed the point. It wasn't about the clintons' serving or not. It wasn't about who voted for the war. It was about trump's feelings towards Muslims.

3. impulse462 macrumors 68000

impulse462

you could make the argument it was a shot at trump dodging the vietnam war draft

4. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

I heard future important men like Dick Cheney usually have more important things to do than serve in the military during a time of conflict. :rolleyes:

5. DrewDaHilp1 macrumors 6502a

DrewDaHilp1

I hate the draft. I hate draft dodgers. At least Mohammed Ali took his punishment like man.

6. jkcerda macrumors 6502a

jkcerda

Obama Hillary are killing plenty of them

7. MadeTheSwitch macrumors 6502a

MadeTheSwitch

So basically you are saying the father sank to a political low, considering that I don't think the DNC wrote it for him. That was a heartfelt speech.

8. impulse462 macrumors 68000

impulse462

muhammad ali is transcendent, truly before his time. no problem with draft people or draft dodgers, as long as people stick up for their convictions they're worthy of respect.

9. Huntn, Jul 28, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 28, 2016

Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

One of the big problems of no draft or no required national service, is when the war hawks send our kids off to war, unless you have someone who volunteered in your immediate family, they are some unknown them getting killed and suffering. I support a draft to keep the country as a whole in the war game, and vocal about worthy causes for personal sacrifice on behalf of our citizens. Call it share the pain.

10. yaxomoxay thread starter macrumors 68020

yaxomoxay

Oh no the father is honest in his heart. I wrote myself that the speech was heartfelt, and I am truly truly truly sorry for his loss.
    The low is the DNC exploiting a pretty obvious logical fallacy that the father has because of his suffering.

11. impulse462 macrumors 68000

impulse462

I somewhat see what you're talking about, but I don't necessarily agree with your premise. both Bill and Hillary decided to take pretty menial jobs after law school. they probably could have gone to super fancy law firms and earned a lot of money but they decided to work more as civil servants. there is nothing wrong with aiming for a super well-paying job, but in this aspect i think it is pretty commendable that they decided to forego that and work in public service after attaining their law degrees

12. MadeTheSwitch macrumors 6502a

MadeTheSwitch

How so? The father gave his opinion and thoughts, and wasn't up there at gunpoint being strong armed by the DNC, so what's the issue?

13. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

Question. Did you vote for GWB? If so, you voted for someone who dodged his duty.

BL.

14. hiddenmarkov macrumors 6502a

would be a weak one.

finding people in power who didn't avoid service in some way is like finding a damn unicorn at this point really. Which is sad.

If I had godlike powers...to run for POTUS there'd be a new requirement. 1 term served in the US military. Sub condition....you will start enlisted. Go mustang (enlisted to officer once in), go CWO route if so desired later but your ass will be enlisted to start that ball rolling. If only to just give some perspective. Yes I had issues with academy and straight out of college grad officers.

Here is a joke...you know what the difference between a Lance Corporal of Marines and a 2nd lt. of Marines is? A lance corporal has been promoted twice.

15. impulse462 macrumors 68000

impulse462

interesting point. as a military person (i'm assuming) i can see your argument, but personally though i don't think having to serve in the military should necessarily be a requirement to be president. the founders didn't think so either, but i wonder if the thought crossed their mind and how they made that decision

16. hiddenmarkov macrumors 6502a

Case of the founders I'd speculate at that time since most served in some way, even as active civilian component not unlike watches and such as seen in WWII back in the US, it may have been an oversight. Who wouldn't serve...they thought maybe. Since in the war for independence I gather a fair amount of conscripting going on anyway. Farmer John may not have been in the regular army. But if some red costs nearby and needs arose....red coat or him dying...he was opting for the former.

Rest yes comes from prior service. A sticking point I have is I like to know my bosses know something of what I do. When in the military even all the way up to the top brass...I knew that General has some common abilities with me. Ideally...I'd like that extended to the CIC role of the POTUS.

I know a 3 star at one point in time strapped on a pack and rifle in the Marines , walked on a long ass hump in the sun. He says hump boys, say aye sir content knowing even them in their lofty position at one point in time were on a similar road, doing the same thing.

Of late...we get CIC's who have no connection here like that. Military works off of bonds. Brotherhood and sisterhood stuff. Of late...we don't get that with the CIC. Its some guy (could be a woman soon, time will tell) in a suit who just came from nowhere.

Had a good time on college while others reported for basic training somewhere to do something more useful than drink beer, study, and get laid whenever as a "job" for 4 years on mommy and daddy's dime (ahh the college years lol). Years later...lets take that hill people. Show us how its done sir/maam...oh wait...you can't.

17. Robisan macrumors 6502

Honestly, I've seen some low things around here but this thread takes the cake. You people don't give a rat's ass about this guy's plea to help him, help Muslim Americans like him, to honor his son's sacrifice protecting his and our constitutional rights by stopping a demagogue who is a direct threat against their rights and ours.

Here's the full address. It better than my words will put the shame to the craven indecency of this thread.

18. yaxomoxay thread starter macrumors 68020

yaxomoxay

Sure sure... She sends the poor lad to death, fighting Muslims for nothing, yet it's Trump's fault. Sure.
    She's directly involved in destabilizing Libya, mostly to get oil contracts to the French as the DoS emails reveal, yet it's Trump's fault. Sure.
    She created a non secure server with top secret emails that endangered national security and the only reason she's not in jail is because according to the FBI she too stupid to understand that it was wrong, yet it's Trump's fault.

By the way it's our constitutional right to elect a demagogue; just saying.

19. thermodynamic, Jul 29, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 29, 2016

thermodynamic Suspended

thermodynamic

Or, rather, the Muslims that caused the war. But that would defeat the purpose of both memes.
    --- Post Merged, Jul 29, 2016 ---
    In one way or another, they are all demagogues, regardless of amount of reason and/or honesty applied. It's a contributor to how camaraderie is built. Two people could say the identical things but most people still gravitate toward one entity over the other despite any number of related facts, including who didn't say it first.
    I said the same thing about a Trump video a few weeks ago: The use of schmaltzy music to direct our emotions, usually to cry on cue or to feel pride or any other emotion on cue is condescending and patronizing. But they're not the only politicians who do it, nor is singling out a couple of politicians the actual point. But it does prove demagoguery is not unreal.
    Thankfully law school had cost a lot less back then, allowing more people to get the education needed to be able to compete and yet not be swamped by student loan debt.

20. samcraig macrumors P6

Trump only points out the problems. He has no solutions. He also thinks he can step into the job without any prior political experience and do it. Most hiring managers would "pass" on his resume and he certainly wouldn't past the muster of an in-person interview.

21. bent christian Suspended

bent christian

So did Donald Trump's running mate, Mike Pence. You know, the guy who will be positioned in charge of domestic and foreign policy.

By Trump's own words, more will be sent to die by his hand, in the unlikely event the two are somehow elected.

22. thermodynamic Suspended

thermodynamic

And? Everyone said Obama was a "community organizer with no experience"... he found the people needed to turn around and improve this country after years of Bush's cronyism. So how come people blindly believe Trump won't find and bring in people to compensate for his inexperience? Pence is an obvious example. And as with any other person, one can find things to agree with and disagree with for the individual candidate.
    Right now, unless something changes, Stein and Johnson will take away enough votes to effectively allow Trump to conceivably win enough swing states to clinch the general election. Don't blame Stein or Johnson, they have a right to run. Even Michael Moore alluded to a possible Trump victory. You may find it, it's so recent of news it isn't hard to find.

And thanks to the terrorist groups like ISIS, anyone who thinks we won't need more soldiers is being naive. Even with full international support, which more needs to exist, the US isn't going to step backwards as the same international community won't look too happily on that either.

23. Jess13 Suspended

Jess13

24. bent christian Suspended

bent christian

The Libertarian candidate historically pulls from Republican votes and Greens typically take between 0.5% and 2% average of the electoral vote. None of what you wrote is likely to pan out.