Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AbSoluTc

Suspended
Original poster
Sep 21, 2008
Is this normal? I want one or two people coming through but not dinging me while on silent in a work meeting. Seems messed up. I get the reason why but why not an option to bypass silent too instead of just doing it without an option.

TheSkywalker77

macrumors 68030
Sep 9, 2017
I stopped using Emergency Bypass for this reason. Have you checked for a "none" option for a ringtone or text tone? Your answer might be in there.

AbSoluTc

Suspended
Original poster
Sep 21, 2008
I stopped using Emergency Bypass for this reason. Have you checked for a "none" option for a ringtone or text tone? Your answer might be in there.

I read about that but it's not a solution really. If you set it to none, then you won't hear that person ever, even with DND off. I need to hear them with DND off but silence the sound when DND is on but allow it through. Seems pretty standard to me.

TheSkywalker77

macrumors 68030
Sep 9, 2017
I read about that but it's not a solution really. If you set it to none, then you won't hear that person ever, even with DND off. I need to hear them with DND off but silence the sound when DND is on but allow it through. Seems pretty standard to me.
Ah gotcha, yeah it does. I don’t see why they haven’t added it yet.

adrianlondon

macrumors 603
Nov 28, 2013
Switzerland
I think the only workaround (or maybe this is what one is meant to do?) is to create a Contacts group, add any people you want to be able to ring you in DND to that group, then add that group as an "allowed contacts" in DND settings.

Emergency Bypass doesn't seem to be meant solely for DND use, but to bypass everything. You'd probably edit a particular contact and set their Emergency Bypass settings only in certain circumstances where their potential call is really important to you.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.