Do a lot of people make this mistake when clicking their trackpads?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by jshbckr, Apr 24, 2010.

1. jshbckr macrumors 6502

I've noticed a lot of people with MacBook Pros try to physically click the trackpad other places than the bottom (where the physical button used to be).

Maybe it's because Apple has advertised the new trackpad as "the whole thing is a button" and it's led people to believe they can press anywhere on it to click. Of course, it's obviously hinged at the top and becomes incredibly hard (if not impossible) to click, the further you go up.

Is this a pretty common mistake? I feel like I've seen quite a few people do this.

2. alexh123drum macrumors member

It's not a mistake. People can click the trackpad wherever they choose surely?

3. milkybrainuk macrumors newbie

you can tap anywhere on it. Just turn on tap to click in the system preferences.

4. entatlrg macrumors 68040

entatlrg

Two finger tap on track pad gives you right click no matter where you tap?

I don't understand maybe?

5. splashnader macrumors 6502a

splashnader

I tap the trackpad, instead of actually clicking it. Just easier for me.

6. jshbckr thread starter macrumors 6502

I don't mean "tap to click" or two-finger right clicking.

I mean the act of physically pressing the trackpad to click. There is a lot more resistance in click as you move up the trackpad.

I feel like I've seen people slide their finger up the track pad to, for example, click on the Safari URL bar. When they click, they press down exactly where their finger is, often the middle or top of the track pad.

Perhaps I'm not explaining it right or no one can tell the difference between click the middle/top of the trackpad and the bottom. But it feels to me like they are still meant to only be "clicked" on the bottom.

7. jzuena macrumors 6502a

jzuena

I have an older MBP with a physical button, so clicking at the bottom is more natural for me, but I did notice what the OP is talking about when playing with a newer MBP. I tried clicking further up once and it wouldn't move so my thumb naturally went to the bottom of the trackpad to click from then on. I suppose someone new to Macs might not be used to the right way, although since most Windows laptops have the buttons under their trackpad, too, I would think people new to laptops in genera would be most likely to repeatedly try to click near the top.

8. Dozerrox macrumors 6502

That's not a 'mistake', it's what apple state you should do, click wherever. It's just that it's harder to click at the top.

Click where you want.

9. SA22C macrumors regular

Incorrect. Try clicking on the uppermost 1/4 of the trackpad. It's impossible because, as the OP pointed out, the trackpad is hinged at the top.

I tend to physically click on the trackpad in the bottom 1/2 or so, depending on what I'm trying to accomplish.

10. andrew086 macrumors regular

That's not completely incorrect.. only the very top isn't "clickable." They didn't make the entire trackpad a button just so there is a centimeter more space for moving the cursor. If they intended for you to always click the bottom, they would have made it something like the Air's trackpad.

11. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Clicking is so 80s. Tapping is where it's at.

12. wandrer2 macrumors member

I made this "mistake" a few times.

I also notice that, while I enabled tapping, I find myself clicking more and more often. Especially for dragging, where a tap tends to "stick", and continue dragging even after a brief removal of the fingers.

13. mingoglia macrumors 6502

LOL, though I agree. I've configured my machines for years to allow tapping as the click. I don't think I've clicked a keyboard "mouse button" for several years now unless I'm right clicking (on windows).

14. milomak macrumors member

I would suggest the portion that is not clickable at the top is about a 1/6 of the whole pad

15. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

I click on the bottom if I can, I only click in the middle if I need to drag and drop something.

I, however, would have preferred the Air-like trackpad for the physical button.