Do a lot of people run windoze on older machines like 2,1?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by ChaosControl, Nov 10, 2016.

1. ChaosControl macrumors newbie

ChaosControl

I would love to mess with some of these older mac pro machines since I like old desktops but I doubt that I want to learn mac os and osx and all at the moment
    They're pretty similar hardware wise to my Dell T7400 and T5400 boxes, right?

2. Synchro3, Nov 10, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 11, 2016
  3. hartleymartin macrumors regular

hartleymartin

I was looking into Windows 7 on my Mac Pro 1,1. I want to do the 64-bit installation, but first I'll be upgrading the CPUs and flashing the firmware to a Mac Pro 2,1.

I dual-boot Windows via Bootcamp on my Mac Pros primarily for games that I cannot get the run properly under emulation layers.

4. pastrychef macrumors 601

pastrychef

The number of people who run Windows on the 1,1s have probably increased over the years as it lost support for newer versions of macOS. I expect the same to be true for other Mac models.

5. orph macrumors 65816

i run both >.< why not?

as a plus if your running just windows you can use any GPU you want without real problems

6. hartleymartin macrumors regular

hartleymartin

There is a way to modify OSX El Capitan to run on the Mac Pro 1,1 and 2,1. Basically, you need to replace the two boot.efi files. As far as I am aware, there is no way to get Sierra on a 1,1 or 2,1 but I have not yet encountered software which demands Sierra. Most things will run on any version of OSX 10.8.x or later.