Do all new 17" MBP's have backlight leakage at the bottom of the screen?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Cinner, Jan 14, 2008.

1. Cinner macrumors newbie

Before I return my new 17" Macbook Pro (1680*1050 res) to have the display fixed, I would like to know if there is a relatively big chance I will get another display with the same or even worse problem.

My problem is that there is a bright bar of light at the bottom of the screen. I believe it's called backlight leakage? Do all 17" MBP's (I don't know if there would be a difference between the low and high res screen) have this? I'm asking because the MBP's I've seen in two stores have this leakage as well, and I don't want to get it repaired if they'll just get me another screen with the same problem, or even worse (like dead pixels).

2. tersono macrumors 68000

tersono

3. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

No light leakage with 17" MBP Santa Rosa 1680x1050, on full brightness displaying completely black frame of video.

4. Neutral Gamer macrumors 6502a

Neutral Gamer

Jesus Christ, you mean that the backlight leak ISN'T normal?!

I've had my Hi-Res Glossy MBP for nearly 5 months and when viewing a fully white screen, there's a clearly visible bar of white light at the bottom of the screen which is about a third of an inch in height. I don't personally find it that big an issue.

Are you sure you two are looking closely enough and at the right angle?

I also noticed in all the MBP's in store (and my own) that items on the screen get lighter as they get further down the screen. For example the grey title bar on windows gets lighter and lighter as you drag it down.

I always assumed this was NORMAL cos I've read of other people talking about uneven backlighting on the 17" MBP's in the MacRumors forums. If the in store displays have it then surely it is? Or should I also contact AppleCare? :eek:

5. shoppy macrumors 6502a

Mine has it my wife's does also and my last glossy high res did also.

6. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

Tried with photoshop full frame mode, black, white and gray image. There seems to be something very faint toward the edge, but it could be reflection from the metal. Typically the scroll bars go there so it's not an issue.

Well screen looks fine straight on, but the optimal viewing angle isn't that wide on a matt screen.

You don't really use a laptop for critical image adjustment anyway. Oh if you want to find problems you can find problems with anything (more problems with wintels)...