Do any of you always let the phone auto-lock instead of pressing the power button?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by user-name-here, Sep 24, 2013.

1. user-name-here macrumors 65816

I just got a 5s but my 4s before it had an issue where the power button got stuck and I couldn't press it anymore.

I was jailbroken so I had workarounds for it but overall it was annoying to have something as crucial as a power button go kaput when it's out of warranty :(

I used to always used to turn the screen off myself but now on my 5s I started to simply use the home button to wake the device, then once I'm done let it sit for 1 minute and let it lock on it's own in order to save wear-and-tear on the power button.

Anyone else doing the same thing?

2. gentlefury macrumors 68030

My autolock is set to never and I have never had an issue. Maybe wash your hands before using your device.

3. celly macrumors 6502

I personally don't like my phone locking too quickly (I think I'm on two minutes). I use the power button almost exclusively to save battery life. Too bad yours crapped out. I've never had any issues with the button on my 4s and don't envision one on the 5s.

4. BenTrovato macrumors 68020

BenTrovato

I've had a power button crap out on me 2 weeks before my warranty expired on my 4S a while back. For a period of time I didn't want to overuse my power or home buttons for fear they would break again and I would be out of warranty.

I became annoyed at that philosophy. If the buttons are going to break then so be it. I'd rather use every button as much as I want to and if the button breaks I'll take it to an indy repair shop for $35 :)

5. user-name-here thread starter macrumors 65816

Yeah. I probably just didn't know I had a bunch of food, bleach, sand, and motor oil on my hands when handling my iPhone 4s and that's why the power button got stuck :rolleyes:

Wash my hands. Brilliant advice!

6. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

Jailbroken. 20SecondLockScreen. I have it set to never when my iPhone 5 is unlocked. Usually because I'm having it do something when I set it down unlocked and I don't want to come back to find it locked again.

Because of 20SecondLockScreen when I DO lock it it goes right to the lockscreen, no turning off. Which is the behavior I had on all my previous phones and wanted to keep. At my lock screen it's set to shut off in about a minute.

I have an Activator action that lets me use the home button to lock and unlock as that's the button I was used to using to perform this action with my old HTC Touch Pro.

7. user-name-here thread starter macrumors 65816

You're the man when it comes to jailbreak tweaks eyongren! You pretty much have one for any situation :D

Thanks for the knowledge and reply (in the LED light thread too).

8. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

LOL! No problem!

9. gentlefury macrumors 68030

Or a very small bit of anything sticky, smartass.

10. Charadis macrumors 6502a

I believe I have the same problem as you, OP. My iPhone 5 is currently jailbroken, so I have Activator set up so that I can lock the screen by swiping left on the status bar. I double tap status bar to open multitasking tray and swipe right for Home button (ie, exit app).

Before a jailbreak was available, I would have my phone autolock, like you, but I got annoyed with waiting for it to sleep before I could put in my pocket or carry on. I eventually pulled up the accessibility tool for the soft buttons, but it was annoying when it would stay while watching a movie or playing games, or other apps. I'm hoping, someday, Apple will implement something like Activator without having to jailbreak...just like they've been adding cool things like the Notification Center and Control Center features.

11. user-name-here thread starter macrumors 65816

My apologies. Seems I gave you a hard time back ;)

Just c'mon, that "washing your hands" stuff goes without saying for anyone using electronics and seemed like simply a jab at me. Of course my hands were clean.

It's like if someone says "my car just broke down" and someone replies "maybe dont crash your car into things." It's like huh? How about you just ask me if I crashed my car into things before making an assumptive statement like that.

12. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

Note that none of the Activator actions that I have set up use the default action of the Sleep button or a double press of the sleep button I leave those alone because while I allow my device to sleep in this manner, like you I sometimes need the screen to shut off. So either a double press of the sleep button sends my phone to the lockscreen and then turns the screen off or a press of the home button locks the screen and a press of the sleep button turns the screen off.

In other words, even though I have it set up to stay on for a minute once locked, I can immediately turn off the screen by pressing the sleep button when at the lockscreen and twice from the springboard.

As long as you don't assign any activator actions to overwrite a default the default still performs in the same manner as it always has.

13. Mrbobb macrumors 601

Almost always use the button, because my phone apparently thinks my body heat is my hand so there have been instances I put away my phone in me pockets just to find it's been on for who knows how long. If button breaks, I fix myself, that's the beauty if you are a DIY'er, no sweat.

14. PNutts macrumors 601

PNutts

I always put it to sleep with the power button.