Do any of you still buy a daily newspaper?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Happybunny, Jan 25, 2012.

1. Happybunny macrumors 68000

I mean a real paper newspaper.
    I do not mean one of those freebies like Metro/Spits.

I stopped when I retired back in 2008.

2. Yumunum macrumors 65816

Yumunum

My family doesn't. Don't really see the point. I can get this news wayyyyyyy more efficiently online. I'm almost surprised the newspaper business is still alive. Then again, it takes time for change. More people need to take advantage of their computers, and/or get smartphones/tablets.

3. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

I gave them up some years ago...I prefer to get my fix of daily events from various sources: The web, International radio stations, etc. This allows me to see things from more than one point of view.

The BBC USED to be a good source of unbiased opinion, but no longer. As far as printed matter goes, I subscribe to one Mac related magazine and that's it.

4. iStudentUK macrumors 65816

iStudentUK

Never. I can't stand newspapers, especially now there is the internet. I get my news from the BBC site. The beeb ain't perfect, but a lot better than any newspaper.

5. JBazz macrumors 6502

I get mine on my kindle. Newspapers were why I bought my first kindle.

But I do miss reading a newspaper (printed on paper) with a morning cup of joe. Sitting at a computer just isn't the same. But the mess and having to bundle them and put on the curb caused me to give them up.

6. firestarter, Jan 25, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 25, 2012

firestarter macrumors 603

firestarter

I buy newspapers only rarely. When I do, I'm pretty much always annoyed by the poor quality of writing and fact checking (and I buy supposedly 'quality' papers). I just don't believe that the daily news format encourages the sort of in-depth analysis that I want to read.

I do quite regularly buy a weekly news magazine 'The Spectator'. This actually has articles I want to read, with a bit more insight.

Most of my news comes from the 'net and twitter.

True.

7. Happybunny thread starter macrumors 68000

On a side note could you steer me what are quality news outlets in the UK.

It's sad to hear that about the BBC. My father used to always quote the BBC, came because of the war. It was seen as the touchstone of truth in occupied Europe.

8. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Finally gave up newspapers when I moved 4 years ago. Read one or two daily for 30 years.

9. Shrink macrumors G3

Shrink

Yup, still get the daily paper - The Boston Globe.

I love to start my day with coffee and the paper.

I know, it's so ten years ago. But then, I'm so 20 years ago - so it's actually progress.:rolleyes: :D

10. iStudentUK macrumors 65816

iStudentUK

Well we have-

Daily Mail- a bit like Fox News or The Onion. Good if you never learnt to read though.
    Sun/Star/'red tops'- infinitesimally better than the Daily Mail.
    Times/Telegraph/Independent- 'broadsheets' better than above, but still newspapers.
    The Guardian- another broadsheet, but more liberal paper, very 'middle class house wife'.
    Financial Times- Very business orientated obviously!
    Sky News- news website, poor-man's BBC really.
    BBC News- like others have said slipped in quality in recent years, I'd say still better than any of the above though.

I think they are most of the mainstream outlets...

11. firestarter, Jan 25, 2012

firestarter macrumors 603

firestarter

I think you have to understand the bias behind various news sources, read a few, then make up your own mind.

The BBC still has the best web site for breaking news, but I no longer trust their analysis - and particularly their domestic news coverage. They are too self-interested in big government, and for too long they've hired staff using advertising in left-leaning newspapers.

For analysis, one of the best new sources is Dale and Co. This is kind of an attempt at a British 'Huffington post'. Iain Dale is a book publisher, broadcaster and former (Tory) parliamentary candidate. His site publishes analysis from a range of politicians, journalists and others from across the political spectrum - and I think it's a good source.

The Guardian is prolific, and has the best web site of all the UK newspapers. It has a very definite left wing bias, and they actively censor comments on their pages. There's some good writing there though, and it's worth reading to gain a broad picture of what's going on.

The Times had a good reputation but IMO their journalism is poor - and they're behind a paywall... so let's forget about them. The Independent is a bit meh... difficult to see where they're coming from, and I don't really like their journalism. The FT is dull, even if you're interested in finance (and behind a paywall anyway).

The Telegraph is as right leaning as the Guardian is left leaning, but their web site isn't quite as good, and they don't have the Guardian's breadth of coverage in the arts.

The Commentator is a new online news site which is right wing (and has a slight Zionist undercurrent). While you wouldn't want to 100% believe this or the Guardian; read together they present a well rounded picture.

I like the Spectator as a printed weekly newspaper. It's pitched towards the right (Boris Johnson, the Tory London mayor used to be editor), but it's relaxed enough to present alternate viewpoints. They also have good content on the arts, literature, music, philosophy. Their web site isn't great though.

There are other popular news blogs of different political leanings, but they tend to be more sensationalist.

Too often their stories have emotive titles that aren't borne out by the facts. They're so pervasive in UK culture that I think they've become damaging... much of their headline news is too popularist and concentrates on soundbites with poor analysis. While it's good to bully politicians a little in order to get to the truth, often BBC interviews these days say more about the interviewers ego than the facts of the story.

I think their world news is still quite trustworthy, and their basic fact reporting is good.

12. senseless macrumors 68000

senseless

I'll occasionally get the daily through press reader, but do not subscribe. There is no price advantage to do so.

13. Happybunny, Jan 25, 2012

Happybunny thread starter macrumors 68000

Thank you very much for the information, you have certainly given me some food for thought.

I do buy Private Eye, I started after I saw Ian Hislop on the BBC. I of course do not understand some of the references.

----------

And I bet you get your mail via the pigeon post.:D

14. SactoGuy18 macrumors 68020

SactoGuy18

Why should I read a physical newspaper when I can read the newspaper's web site? :rolleyes: For example, instead of buying a physical copy of USA Today, I read the stories from that newspaper on their web site (web browser) or the USA Today iPad app....

15. jeremy h macrumors 6502

Firestarters list is excellent - I'd add the Economist to it. I would suggest it seems more favourable to Keynes etc these days (if the comments sections after the articles are to be believed!)

I love Private Eye - they've actually blown open lots of stories years ahead of the well funded BBC etc. I must get a subscription (so I can threaten to cancel it occasionally! ;) )

16. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Yeah, but not for news. I like breaking news on BBC News or Twitter. But I still swear by papers for TV guides, reports, occasional reviews.
    All taken with a grain of salt. I swear if the BBC printed a news paper I'd drop all other papers (I do get a few).

17. kolax macrumors G3

Occasionally buy the local paper to find out what's been going on.

I'd much rather read it on an iPad, but I doubt they'll ever release an iPad version.

18. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

I haven't subscribed to a newspaper in years. I will occassionally buy one, but it is pretty rare. I get my news from the internet.

19. interrobang macrumors 6502

When I get a paper newspaper, I end up reading things that I'd never read online. There are a lot of headlines that I won't click on, but that I will read if the text is right there. So I get more out of a paper than I would online.

I haven't had one for about a year, though. Delivery driver got lazy and I cancelled, and haven't resubscribed even after they fired the guy.

20. Aeolius macrumors 6502a

I canceled my subscription 6 years ago, when I moved from a bustling burg of 250,000 to my new town of 7,000 (never mind that my old house is 3 minutes up the road). If I want city or national news, I hit a few websites. If I want local news, I drive up to the Mom & Pop convenience store at the end of the road and ask "Shorty" what's new.

A cautionary note. If you ask Shorty "what's new", be prepared to invest a few hours... he is truly "The internet of Summerfield". When I was looking at my property, there was one corner about which I had a question. Shorty personally knew the past 4 owners of the property (back to the 50s), and had the lawyer of the original owner's estate on the phone before I had even finished asking him about it!

21. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

I haven't had a subscription for many years, but I would buy one from time to time to read things that I didn't generally read online - things like automibile sales ads, comics, etc. Reading the news online made much more sense to me, because it was much more current (by the time it was in print, it was already "old news").

Then online news started to suck - every other story is now a video rather than a printed story. I don't want to watch a news video, I want to read a news article - I can't skim a video. And sometimes I don't want the sound from the video, partially to avoid disturbing others, partly because reporters' on-air voices and inflection drive me up the wall ("...party leaders NOW say they're not sure...who the front runner really is").

22. vrDrew macrumors 65816

No.

There are several reasons for this, not the least of which is my digital New York Times subscription. But, in no particular order, here are my reasons I no longer get (or read) "paper" newspapers:
    • Generally low quality journalism. I don't live in a big city. And our local paper pretty much stinks.
    • A daily paper adds considerably to my weekly garbage/recycling load.
    • I don't like getting ink stains on my hands and clothing.
    • Its generally easier for me to find the stories I'm interested in via digital sources
    • Paper newspapers are generally more costly.
    • I travel a lot, and if I paid for subscriptions these would stack up on my doorstep when I was away

23. Macky-Mac macrumors 68030

Macky-Mac

I stop for coffee before work and find I prefer to have it at the cafe instead of taking it with me. Sometimes I read a newspaper, sometimes I read a book.

24. Tanglewood macrumors 6502a

Tanglewood

I have a subscription to the San Diego Union Tribune though after two owner changes in the last two years the quality of journalism is way down. Before I would read every day. Now I only read it after local sports games. Been meaning to cancel though have been lazy about it.

25. Shrink macrumors G3

Shrink

No, I guess the irony is I pay that bill, as with all my bills, by computer.

One foot in the present, one foot in the past, one foot...no wait, just two feet!:p :D