do any of you take your iPad to the gym?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by huskerwr38, Oct 25, 2011.

1. huskerwr38 macrumors member

I was thinking about taking my iPad to the gym. But then I got to thinking that it might actually be a bit too big and clunky to haul around the weight room with me. Anyone have any experience working out with it whether it be running or lifting weights?

2. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

I take mine and read while I am on the treadmill
    Works out great for me

3. Scarlet Siren macrumors regular

Scarlet Siren

I haven't done, because I just got my iPad last week but I might start though. I've noticed quite a few people doing it. If it works for you/them why not?

4. Tofaha macrumors 6502

really?
    i've never heard of people doing that, i mean it would be nice to bring it there, but i'd be worried about it falling while running on the treadmill .

5. poloponies macrumors 68030

For treadmills or stationary bikes with book holders, sure. I can't imagine how you'd use it on a weight bench or machine.

6. anjinha macrumors 604

anjinha

I'm thinking of doing this as well.

7. macse30 macrumors regular

macse30

8. marsmissions macrumors 6502

marsmissions

What will you be using it for in a weight room? Seems like an annoyance to me.

9. kap09 macrumors 6502

tempting for cardio but i'd feel ridiculous, lol

10. serega macrumors regular

I have used on stationary bike a couple of times.

11. mhdena macrumors 6502

Poseur also comes to mind:D

12. Abazigal macrumors 604

Abazigal

I can't imagine being able to concentrate on reading while running. :p

13. possumwater macrumors regular

possumwater

I do it on the elliptical all the time. Works great. VLC, COPS episodes i've downloaded...

I have a fitness app that is really nice for free weights and machines. I've been thinking about using it for that too. Its no different than the pen and paper you see people doing it with. Just a much more expensive version. Check out iFitness HD, it may work for you if you don't have a set plan. I like it a lot but have yet to use it in the lifting area.

14. Smileyboy macrumors 65816

Smileyboy

No offense. But most people I see using an iPad while working out don't look like its working for them...

15. spinedoc77 macrumors G3

spinedoc77

I bring mine every workout. I leave it in my locker while I do my weight workout, then break it out when I do my cardio. I get very bored while doing cardio so its a godsend to use, I catch up on reading books usually.

The gym owner actually just got in some new treadmills/hill climbers which hook up to an iphone and let you customize your workouts and take them home with you, I have been meaning to hook up my ipad and play around with that.

16. S1njin macrumors 6502a

S1njin

Not conducive to having around while I have 110 lb dumbbells over my head ... I wouldn't think of bringing any Apple device save a Nano or Shuffle to the gym. But than again, I'm not running on a treadmill.

17. thetruth1985 macrumors 6502

Sure I take mine to the weight room all the time. When I do my bench press, I have my spotter hold the iPad over my head so I can keep up with the Kardashians while I'm pushing out my reps.

18. PracticalMac macrumors 68030

PracticalMac

I do with iPT, but no Wi-Fi limits its usefulness.

For stationary bikes and orbitals, I would with iPad.

19. subtonic macrumors newbie

I bring mine to the gym all the time because my gym doesn't have any tv's but there is wifi. I actually bought the Sony Bluetooth headphone adaptor which lets me plug in any pair of headphones to the adaptor and then sync with Bluetooth. It's a godsend on the treadmill because I can't imagine being tethered to my iPad running at 7mph. One misstep and my iPad would be a goner. Now, I don't have to worry.

Also, it's great while lifting weights because I can leave my iPad in the corner of the gym and still listen to my tunes and podcasts through Bluetooth.

Here's the link to the adaptor:
    http://www.amazon.com/Sony-Ericsson...al-text&ie=UTF8&qid=1319658373&sr=1-1-catcorr

20. Smileyboy macrumors 65816

Smileyboy

Very true... I may have to try that next stair master workout.

21. kellen macrumors 68020

kellen

Every day. While doing my run, it stays perfectly on the book holder. 3.5 miles is gone before you know it while watching a movie or tv, really works great.

22. yegon macrumors 68020

I'd never trust myself with my iPad at the gym. My old iPod Classic has been sent flying on countless occasions (and survived :), I shudder to think about the damage I'd do to my iPad!

By the way, other than the above scenario, I'm careful and far from clumsy with my devices - I've never dropped my iPhone in 4 years, nor any any laptop I've ever owned - touch wood! Jinx!

23. ucantgetridofme macrumors 6502

Leave your toys at home, I guarantee you those people at the gym all think you're a dork/idiot with an ipad in public. The ipad is too big and clumsy for public use.

24. j_maddison macrumors 6502a

j_maddison

I've taken it, but it's always depended on how I was training at the time.

Most of the time I've used the iPhone, but the larger screen on the iPad makes it easier to quickly reference the next lift and weight percentages. If my routine isn't volume based and frequently reliant on percentages, then I don't tend to use it

I guess if it's functional and convenient, then I take it. If not, then I make do with the iPhone and a doodle type app to scribble down the number of lifts.

I don't do cardio as a rule, but I can see it being quite useful to help break up the monotony.

25. Orionsbelt macrumors newbie

I use timer apps when lifting

It really takes the guesswork out of lifting tempo. Otherwise, you're trying to keep track of seconds and reps and rest periods. It's very helpful.