Do any of you use your work laptop for home use/personal use?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by DieterRams, Aug 3, 2010.

1. DieterRams macrumors regular

Just wondering if anyone does this and has been perfectly fine. I know the general rule is not to do this because you risk getting it taken away and the contents of it owned by the company but I know that many people do it anyway and have been ok while others have not. One reason is to save a lot of money by using the work-bought laptop rather than having to buy your own.

And if you have done this, besides regular web surfing, iTunes stuff, etc., have you done any personal projects on it like freelance projects or otherwise that make money or potentially could make money? What's your experience been like? Since it's a work laptop you're working on, this is an issue, isn't it? Or as long as it's not obvious, it's fine?

If I knew I'd be relatively safe doing this, I'd have to carry a 17" MBP (the one I'd consider getting) to and from work and home 5 times a week. Even though it doesn't exactly weigh a ton, it's still heavy enough to be annoying to have to do everyday. Thoughts?

2. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

3. kalex macrumors 65816

I wouldn't. Work laptop is for work. If you install your own stuff on it, it might be compromised. Usually companies lock them down pretty well. Company I work at locks it down like Fort Knox

4. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Nope. I carried my own laptop when I traveled for business. Wish iPads were available then.

5. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

I used my work laptop for minor things like when my machine was in the shop.

I used my Personal machine alot for work use since all of my work apps were stored on a high powered workstation vm that I'd just remote into.