Do Apple stores set aside a few iphones for walk-in purchase?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by lamenramen, Sep 26, 2012.

1. lamenramen macrumors regular

Hi, for each shipment, do they set aside a few so that those who are willing to line up in the morning can walk in and buy them in-store? This seems to be the only recourse for those who want to buy full price at the moment. I'm just not sure if Apple is selling them all to people who reserve the night before. Because they surely will sell out, every single day, every single time, for the foreseeable future unless they set aside a few for daily purchasers. Anyone able to confirm? I of course get conflicting things from different Apple stores.

2. xAnthony macrumors 65816

xAnthony

You must reserve one online. You cannot simply walk in and purchase one.

3. spblat macrumors 6502a

spblat

I simply walked in and purchased one. On launch day.

4. nostresshere macrumors 68030

That was then. They have started the reserve process.

As to the original question,.. maybe, but you would have to the person there when they came available... but as you know, they sell out FAST.

5. auero macrumors 65816

I went today to try and get one but they didn't even have any for reserves. A friend of mine who works at the store told me they only got one yesterday and 0 today. I guess best bet is to order online.

6. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

It MIGHT be possible to walk in and get one, but only if a reserved purchase for that day falls through for whatever reason (customer changes their mind, a no-show, bad credit check, etc.). At that point, I think that reserved iPhone is up for grabs. Or, the store might just hang on to it for the next batch of reserves.

Until supply meets demand, don't expect Apple to specifically have any set aside for walk-ins.

The stores DO have a small amount of iPhone 5 units set aside for warranty exchanges, and at least for now, they're just as new as the ones for purchase. But these units are white-box models that don't come with a charger, cable or headset. They're meant JUST for warranty or AppleCare+ swap-outs.

7. xAnthony macrumors 65816

xAnthony

Launch day is always different. After the initial stock runs out, it becomes reserved buying only. Every night (forgot what time) you go onto Apple's website and you must reserve the model you want. There is limited stock and it's first come first serve basis. (Registering wise)

8. andyriot macrumors member

[​IMG]

I felt like this was necessary to post. And yeah, more than likely you will need to wait a while before you can do that. Stock is low. YMMV.

9. TuckLive macrumors newbie

I just called my local store and yes you can walk-in to purchase one. It's best to reserve one or call the store when they open to see if they have the model you want.

10. lamenramen thread starter macrumors regular

OK, so basically no one knows, not even Apple. It may be store-specific.

What I was told is that they do set aside a few per shipment for walk-in purchases. That is, if they get 100 phones, they may set aside 10 for walk-in purchase and 90 are reservable using the online system.

I called two stores and both of them said that there was a line of people who got the few set aside for walk-ins when the store opened. They had lined up since before 8:30 am. And there were only a few.

But who knows what the real story is. If you missed launch day and you want to buy the device outright, I think that it may better to wait a month.

11. djransom macrumors 68040

djransom

I'm pretty sure they set some aside for walk-ins simply because you can't assume everyone knows about the reservation system. Some people may decide to purchase the i5 after a demo in the store or even on a whim. As far as numbers that I don't know. It doesn't hurt to try it.