Do AT&T stores have nanosims yet? I'll need a new one to activate...

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Advil, Sep 17, 2012.

1. Advil macrumors 6502a

From what I've read, it seems I'll need a new SIM in order to activate with my number rather than the number I bought the upgrade on. I'm assuming the AT&T store will be swamped on launch day so I was wondering if they carried them normally so I could go get one the day before.

2. bruinsrme macrumors 601

bruinsrme

3. TSX, Sep 17, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 17, 2012

TSX macrumors 68030

TSX

I was planning on going the day before to pick one up, I can't see them not having one the day before the biggest launch ever.

4. eastercat macrumors 68040

eastercat

If you got a phone on your at&t line, it'll come with a nano sim.

ETA: the only phone that might not come with a sim is the unlocked one. Since that won't be offered for a month, you've nothing to worry about.

5. teamjaycub macrumors 6502

Can't you just call AT&T before you activate the phone and they'll change the number is activates for?

6. SouthsideJohnny macrumors regular

Yes. When I bought my '4', there was a white packet in the box with the fancy 'paperclip' tool to open the access panel AND the sim was right in there with the phone. They installed it and kept the tool, I found out later when I got it home.

7. MacSto macrumors newbie

This is what an AT&T CSR instructed me to do. Hope it's right.

8. Advil thread starter macrumors 6502a

my local AT&T has the rudest and most uninformed employees i've ever come across unfortunately.

9. TSX macrumors 68030

TSX

I tried this last year and I ended up having to go to AT&T.

10. 52485 macrumors newbie

You are not alone in this. Whenever I call ATT, I feel like I know more than the employees themselves. It's a disgrace.

11. TheBama, Sep 17, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 17, 2012

TheBama macrumors 6502

TheBama

Yes, AT&T confirmed this on their site, but I forgot the link.

1) Charge Device Call 800-330-0500 or 611 from a different phone. At the prompt, enter the wireless number that you used to ORDER the phone.

2) Choose Option 2 to activate your phone on a different number and an AT&T rep will help you.

3) Only after finishing with the rep, turn on your iPhone and follow the instructions.

12. mykelala01 macrumors 6502

mykelala01

I am in the same boat as you. I use my wife number to upgrade. Since she uses mine to upgrade hers to iphone 4s when it came out. But with lphone 5 using nano sim. It is not simple as switching sim. So I might end up going to the store. Back in the days before iphone. All you have to do is call customer service read them the IMEI number
    Of your sim and they can transfer it to you.

13. bruinsrme macrumors 601

bruinsrme

you must live near the same ATT store as I do

14. Kadman macrumors 65816

Kadman

15. iRebound macrumors regular

This is what I did last year with the 4S. No need to waste time at the store. Surprisingly I got through within 5 minutes of being on hold on launch day of last year.

16. supervelous macrumors 6502

Made a purchase in an AT&T store just last night, asked them if they had nanosims and they didn't

17. MacSto macrumors newbie

I think the key here is calling AT&T before turning the phone on. I know their policy is to issue a new SIM card if you have one that's currently activated on another line, or has been used for a different number in the past. I called my local store to ask also, and they couldn't have been any more rude. The lady I talked to tried telling me there's no such thing as a nano sim. I really hope I don't have to go in there to get my phone activated.

18. luked14 macrumors 6502

Does this method only work if you ordered an iPhone straight from AT&T?

For instance, if I purchased mine at Walmart and did a cross upgrade, would they be able to replicate these steps to activate the iPhone on my line at the store?

19. Kadman macrumors 65816

Kadman

It's a carrier based process (meaning AT&T) so it shouldn't matter, so long as you go through the process as instructed on that site. In other words, DO NOT under any circumstances let the Walmart employee even power up the new iPhone. If they say they must activate it in the store, then you're pretty much screwed unless they have extra nano sims lying around.