Do different monitor ports change the look?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by SteveZee, Dec 15, 2011.

1. SteveZee macrumors newbie

Is it possible/probable that moving a monitor cord from a dvi input to the VGA input would change how the monitor looks? Suddenly it seems a little red.
    is there a way to put 2 DVI's into a MacPro 2.26 Octo 16GB ram, NVIDIA GeForce GT 120 512 ram

2. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

In and of itself, no. However, a VGA connector that's not seated quite right could produce a color shift, so try unplugging it, making sure it's clean on both sides, and then firmly plugging it back in (and screwing it down with the built-in posts). You could get two DVI outputs on that machine by adding another video card.

jW

3. SteveZee thread starter macrumors newbie

it's a modest shift, so...

Does it have to be the most exotic card to do
    this well?
    IS a card like that expensive and does
    the computer get & utilize the full signals and behave
    as I expect how my one dvi monitor has behaved,
    which is perfect? Thanks !

4. samh macrumors 6502

If it's just a modest shift, you can adjust the color profile. You can also try to see if a different VGA cable fixes the problem (I've been seeing a lot of bad VGA cables lately).

5. SteveZee thread starter macrumors newbie

It's hard to imagine that a cable could do so much of everything just right, but then be the fault of a .20 red shift.

6. psxguru macrumors 6502a

Don't forget VGA is an analogue signal and there are extra conversion steps compared to the digital DVI. The quality of the signal/image will be affected by these extra steps.

7. samh macrumors 6502

Well it's hard to know just what a "modest" shift is when you haven't personally seen it. I've also seen analog cables do strange things.

Is it possible your monitor has different calibrations settings for its digital and analog inputs? Or that you do in fact have a different color profile selected for that -- maybe to compensate for another issue on a display previously used on that port?

8. SteveZee thread starter macrumors newbie

So the computer separates profiles based on the port? hmm.
    Well, even so, the same problem exists and I only use the built in calibrator.

----------

And after all that it gets 99.5% of the way there, leaving the last tiny bit of red undone?