Do famous resort hotels on islands like Maldives, Hawaii etc have their own IT dept?

patent10021

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Apr 23, 2004
I'm thinking resorts like The Marriott, Ritz, etc on Hawaii, Maldives, Tahiti, Okinawa etc. What do they do when stuff goes south?

What kind of issues are they likely to have and what kind of staff might they have living on site? Or would there be scheduled monthly visits?

nouveau_redneck

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2017
It is likely that most of the big chains have their own centralized corporate IT departments.

But for operational support to individual sites, they more likely than not, use outsourced support contracted from vendors that handle remote managed services. I'm referring to vendors that can handle everything from help-desk to onsite hardware services (refreshes, repairs, etc.) Few big corporations are still doing this type of work in-house.

patent10021

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Apr 23, 2004
Why are you concerned about resort IT support?
Because I want to hack them and steal all the towels and fancy bathrobes.

It is likely that most of the big chains have their own centralized corporate IT departments.

But for operational support to individual sites, they more likely than not, use outsourced support contracted from vendors that handle remote managed services. I'm referring to vendors that can handle everything from help-desk to onsite hardware services (refreshes, repairs, etc.) Few big corporations are still doing this type of work in-house.
You mean like an IT dept in Ritz Carlton America headquarters etc. But you think it would mostly be outsourced? What kind of certifications would these outsourcing companies likely have? Or what areas would they mostly likely specialize in? Some kind of CISCO networking?

Reactions: AngerDanger

nouveau_redneck

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2017
Because I want to hack them and steal all the towels and fancy bathrobes.

You mean like an IT dept in Ritz Carlton America headquarters etc. But you think it would mostly be outsourced? What kind of certifications would these outsourcing companies likely have? Or what areas would they mostly likely specialize in? Some kind of CISCO networking?
It's hard to generalize since service offerings are vast, and every contract is tailored. Take a look at link below to get an idea of some of the players. There are some good additional likes in this article as well.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Managed_services

As far as Cisco networking is concerned, it's been my experience that the teams managing network architecture work out of corporate locations, or outsource to vendors that could be located anywhere (India, Mexico, etc.) The onsite support at stores or satellite locations, typically outsourced to companies that provide remote break fix, or hardware refresh services. But again, this could be any combination of internal and outsourced responsibility.

If you are interested in a specific company, reach out to them to find out how your experience may align with what they need.