Do Genius Bar CDMA Replacements Come Locked To One Carrier?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by lifeinhd, Sep 21, 2013.

1. lifeinhd macrumors 65816

lifeinhd

Not too long ago, I replaced a Verizon iPhone 5 at the Genius Bar, and when I tried to set up the replacement, it asked me which carrier I wanted to "lock" the phone into, saying I could never change it (see attached). I had options of Verizon, Sprint, and several regional carriers. Then today, I replaced a Sprint iPhone 5, again with it saying I had to choose a carrier and lock it to that carrier. However this time, my options were Sprint first and then Verizon (as in the picture) instead of Verizon then Sprint, and I'm pretty sure there were fewer regional carriers. This seems to suggest that I couldn't *actually* choose Verizon and get away with it, but I'm curious. Anyone know for sure? Thanks.

Attached Files:

2. legioxi macrumors 6502a

Saw the same thing when an employee at the Genius Bar replaced my iPhone 5 last week. I would assume the phone is generic from the factory to avoid having to send out lots of different configs.

3. lifeinhd thread starter macrumors 65816

lifeinhd

So I could put in a Verizon card at this point and it would work? (Don't want to actually do this for obvious reasons....)

4. ToroidalZeus macrumors 68020

ToroidalZeus

I think when they scan the phone it adds it the carriers database. If you select the wrong carrier you might be screwed.

5. MICHAELSD macrumors 68040

MICHAELSD

6. Lyshen macrumors 6502

Notice that's specifically for CDMA network. (It locks down the CDMA to the selected carrier)

The GSM portion can be changed by checking the activation server policy (when iPhone is activated or re-activated).

Interesting the person assisting you did not set the carrier for you.

7. lifeinhd thread starter macrumors 65816

lifeinhd

They were going to, but I told them I'd been waiting for awhile and really had to go and I would do it myself, to which she agreed. In reality I bought a 5S and just want to sell the replacement to my old, broken 5.

8. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

I'm pretty sure the "locking" is actually done in iTunes or at activation. The problem is, there are different models of each iPhone 5/5s/5c that have different hardware, intended for specific bands. THis time around there seems to be a lot more overlap, but if your carrier happens to be an edge case (probably Sprint) and you say AT&T or Verizon, you might end up with a phone that can't physically operate on that network. That's very likely why they ask.