Do Hairline Scratches bother you?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ERIC273, Dec 17, 2011.

1. ERIC273 macrumors 6502

I have an iPhone 4s 64gb and though there are no big scratches but when I hold the phone under the light there are hundreds of tiny hairline scratches that annoy the ******* out of me! If I put a Power Support Matte on it will it hide it? Or should I pay the $49 for the applecare plus replacement?

2. Stealthipad macrumors 68040

Stealthipad

Just like a black car these very small scratches are inevitable.

All iPhones will if used naked.

Some owners refuse to believe these scratches are on their phone. They are in denial as if the light is right, there they will be!

Lets watch this thread for those who claim they have been using their phone, naked, and it has no scratches! LOL

3. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

Yes, very much. That's why I rock a case and screen protector. If/when the protector gets too scratched for my sanity to surivive, I slap on a new one.

4. fins831 macrumors 6502a

Exterior is going to get dinged up, just like a car.

The screen on the other hand, is more important to me. If i see a scratch on the screen I got nuts.

5. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

To answer your subject line question: no.

If you don't want to see them, don't hold them up to the light.

6. siurpeeman macrumors 603

siurpeeman

small scratches would probably bother me at first, but i'd get used to it.

regarding your situation, however, apple won't replace your phone because of scratches, even if you have applecare+. as suggested above me, i would just not hold the phone to the light.

7. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

REALLY??? Let's expound on that. If you don't want to see them, just stop using the phone, in general. :rolleyes:

8. Big-TDI-Guy macrumors 68030

Big-TDI-Guy

I work with high energy optics, and use microscopes, and specialized light sources every day. So I'm an old hand at spotting imperfections measured in microns. Let me tell you, the launch 8GB iPhone I've used (naked) until the iPhone 4 that replaced it - has not a single scratch on the screen down to 8x. The bezel has a bunch of scratches, and the aluminum on the back is ablated in the corners, got a nice ding from a healthy drop onto concrete courtesy of a coworker... But the display (low res, bland color gamut, crap viewing angle, and light bleed aside) is beautiful.

My iPhone 4 - given the same level of care (perhaps a bit more), never dropped (amazingly), has scratches galore, plainly visible without any localized light source or magnification. I swear, polycarbonate could give the IP4 glass a run for it's money in scratch resistance... :eek:

9. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

Yes, really. If you have to hold the phone up to the light in order to see hairline scratches, that implies that during normal everyday use, you aren't going to see them. Therefore, don't hold the phone up to the light, looking for them.

I don't know why I would regularly hold my phone up to the light while looking at it. This is why it doesn't bother me.

10. AustinIllini macrumors demi-god

AustinIllini

Once I got a scratch on my old phone, i slapped a screen protector on it. As of now, I continue to use screen protectors on both sides of the phone. I'm still a little scared about cracking the screen, but whatever happens, happens.

11. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

IDK bud. Sundown, sun hits it at the right angle, and bam you see the ugly scratches. It really isn't that hard to imagine. He was asking a serious question. Your answer was not at all helpful...

12. TM WAZZA macrumors 68000

Yes, that's why I have a screen protector on.

13. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

Nope I don't care. I try to be careful but if I get a scratch I'm not going to lose my hair over it.

14. ERIC273 thread starter macrumors 6502

So, If I put a $5 SP on it rather than getting a replacement for $50 that will probably get f'ed up anyway (Scratch Wise) WIll it hide all the millimeter long annoying hairlines?

PS: How does Power Supports Waranty work? OOC:cool:

15. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

I haven't used power support. Is it more like a rubber or a plastic? I have used zagg. It has it sups and down. It certainly doesn;t scratch, but it does have an "orange peel" look.

16. Stealthipad macrumors 68040

Stealthipad

Sorry but you are in denial!:p

17. Stella macrumors 604

Stella

I had scratches on my iPhone right out the box - must have happened before the iPhone was shipped out. Sounds a bit like yours - can only see them at an angle and bright light. But I know they are there!!

Yes, hair line scratches are annoying - however they occur.

If you get your iPhone replaced then you may end up with larger issues, such as bad pixels or worse which are far more annoying. Live with it, and put on a case to cover them up. Thank yourself lucky you had hard to see scratches rather than a red stuck pixel dead centre of your screen! :)

18. ERIC273 thread starter macrumors 6502

PowerSupport is more of a plastic like it creases if its bent!

19. B777Forevar macrumors 6502a

B777Forevar

20. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

Then it will probably get scratched up over time. If I were buying a plastic cover, I;d get one of the 5 packs they sell at Best Buy and other places. This way I don't feel like I am throwing so much money away each time I replace. At ~$2 a pop it's not so bad.

21. RossMc macrumors 65816

RossMc

Couldn't care less about the back but it would bother me getting scratches on the screen as thats what you see the most.

I don't use a screen protector and don't have any visible scratches on the screen, Might have some hairline ones under light but I have never felt the need to hold my phone under a light to check, If I can't see it it's not there;)

22. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

OP, u probably have a lot of scratches on yourself, does that bother u?

23. ahfu25 macrumors 6502a

Hairline scratches won't bother me if they aren't visible so I put a screen protector on the front and back. I use a case for work and naked any other time. Once and a whole I use my SGP bumper. And to answer your question about the screen protectors, Yes they will hide the hairline scratches.

24. ShionoyaTamaki macrumors 6502

the light scratch is probably due to the oleo-phobic layer being scratched and not really the glass itself. However, the glass can be scratched in severe conditions.

That said, I use a screen protector like Skinomi. I don't even notice it is on and the screen protector self heals from scratches because of the material it is made of.

25. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

[sarcasm]
    Yes they do. I immediately replace the device or product that is affected.
    [/sarcasm]