All iPads Do I buy an iPad Air, or wait until next year for either an iPad Pro, or 2Gb of RAM?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by MartinAppleGuy, Oct 30, 2013.

1. MartinAppleGuy macrumors 68020

MartinAppleGuy

I plan to get an iPad for gaming (Deus Ex, XCOM, GTA...). With 64bit taking up 20-30% more RAM for each application, I don't feel the iPad Air will last as long for my needs. How long will I have to wait for next years iPad (March for an iPad Pro), or just a 6th gen. iPad with 2Gb of RAM?

2. keigo macrumors regular

3. s2mikey macrumors 68020

s2mikey

I agree that 2gb of ram would be sweet. But, the problem is that you can always keep waiting for something better to come along. Then you end up with nothing. The newest iPad seems to be a solid product and worth getting. If you are a heavy gamer though it's possible that a future model would be more powerful and better for you. Tough call.

4. MartinAppleGuy thread starter macrumors 68020

MartinAppleGuy

Would you say an iPad Pro is possible; maybe in March?

5. ezekielrage_99 macrumors 68040

ezekielrage_99

I'm actually half tempted to consider Apple will release an ARM Macbook Air opposed to a higher end iPad in March.

6. AppleRobert macrumors 603

Buy the Air, return it during the allotted time to try it or sell it if you don't feel it worth keeping down the road. One pretty much is guaranteed of ipads holding their value based on prior history.

No one can predict next gen's specs or when it will be released.

7. MartinAppleGuy thread starter macrumors 68020

MartinAppleGuy

2Gb of RAM is really needed though on the iPad line. The iPad 4 is actually better of as it uses 32bit rather than 64 because 6bit has a 20-30% increase in RAM footprint.

8. matseffect macrumors newbie

By the time the 2GB version comes around the 3GB or 4GB version will start to hit the new headlines. With apple stuff there is always going to be a better version on the way within a year.

Just go for it it the air sounds like a really solid and really fast piece of hardware.

9. tyche macrumors 6502

The sooner you buy the iPad Air, the more time you have with it before the next version comes out. Would you rather get 12 months for your money before the next "5x faster" iPad or 9? Because let's face it, Apple has the next 3 iPad's already lined up each one better than the last.

My new computer's got the clocks, it rocks
    But it was obsolete before I opened the box
    You say you've had your desktop for over a week?
    Throw that junk away, man, it's an antique
    Your laptop is a month old? Well that's great
    If you could use a nice, heavy paperweight

[​IMG]

10. bigup macrumors member

on hindsight wouldn't it be better to buy the March 2014 ipad therefore you get more of a product life with it before November 2014 :)

Nov to March = 4 months
    March to Nov = 8 months

11. Menel macrumors 603

Menel

Well... then you wait for the next next year!

12. Reminisce32 macrumors regular

Reminisce32

what makes so many people think iPads are getting refreshed in March? This only happened once two years ago. Why next year again?

13. AdonisSMU macrumors 603

If you have to ask then wait.

14. darngooddesign macrumors G3

The next iPad will be released in approx one year. Either enjoy the new one for a year, or wait a year.

15. Bokes macrumors 6502

16. s2mikey macrumors 68020

s2mikey

Anything is possible but Apple usually takes their time. The 4th gen iPad release time-frame was an anomally, IMO, coming quite soon after the 3 was released.

In this case though, its technically a different product line. The Pro might have other unique things about it. It may not be as good of a gaming system as the 9.7" iPad if its geared more towards productivity and the like. Ya just dont know.

It sounds to me like you should wait a bit if you can and see what gets announced.

17. hologram macrumors 6502

Forever. When the next iPad comes out, you'll want the one that will be coming out after that. You know, the one with a better processor, better graphics, more ram, etc.

If only Apple would stop improving them, you could buy one now and be happy with it.

18. walmartmartyr macrumors 6502

Its always best to wait for the next upgrade. simple economics.

19. pear21 macrumors 6502

pear21

Why does everyone think that there will be a new iPad in March? We wont see a new one until November 2014. The only reason the fourth generation was released so early after the 3 was because they thought it was completely necessary to add the lightning connector at that time.

20. t76turbo macrumors regular

As already said... If you buy now and see a new featureset coming with the newer version we all know Apple will release in a year or less, then just sell quickly before the market gets flooded and you probably will not lose a ton of cash.

I hope they come out with the 'ipad pro'. That will be essentially a laptop killer for me. Even now I only crank up my laptop for logging into work which I cant do on the ipad and some browsing where flash or required. A larger screen will seal the deal for me.

21. Charliebird macrumors 6502a

I like your thinking. :):):)

22. rui no onna macrumors 601

rui no onna

That's actually just a year ago (2012).

23. MacDarcy macrumors 65816

The iPad Air and iPad Retina Mini are more than TWICE as fast as their previous versions....and some people are complaining they don't have more ram?

To those people, I say just wait a year then. To the rest of us, its a GREAT update.

You could play the waiting game forever. And keep in mind, there is no guarantee that the next iPad Air to be announced in October 2014 may not even get 2GB ram. So you could be waiting for nothing.

24. MartinAppleGuy thread starter macrumors 68020

MartinAppleGuy

It has less RAM than last year. And 64 bit apps take up 20-30% more RAM than 32bit. So we have lost 30% of RAM.

----------

Im going to get a MacBook Retina instaid.

25. mpayne2k macrumors 6502a

mpayne2k

If you decide to wait you may be disappointed with the refresh.

If you buy now, catch the wave, enjoy the iPad for the time being and sell it before the next refresh with good resale value the iPad typically holds on to....