Do I even need a proximity sensor cable?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by bigrichards, Dec 10, 2012.

1. bigrichards macrumors newbie

I have a broken digitizer and damaged LCD screen on an old iphone 3Gs. So I replaced them both with new ones. The problem is the new Digitizer/LCD assembly has a bad proximity sensor cable. The phone won't boot up past the apple screen when that #3 cable is connected, but it works fine when it's disconnected.

This old phone isn't used as a phone. I was planning on giving it to my son to download some apps and use as an game console/ipod touch.
    Question: What does this cable do? And do I even need it????

2. boshii macrumors 68040

boshii

The proximity sensor allows the screen to turn off when the phone is near your face while on a call. It's not really necessary if you don't mind angling the phone away from your face while on a call. Otherwise there'll be alot of face-dialing.

Since you're not using it as a phone, you should be fine.

3. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

4. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

Seriously, when will people start talking about all the unnecessary components in the phone? Like a "digitizer" is even a real thing, Apple really needs to stop over hyping their products with stuff like "RAM" and "Storage."

5. Prime85 macrumors 6502a

Prime85

Of course you need a proximity sensor! How else is your phone going to count your push-ups while using the runtastic push-up app!

6. mikeydeezy macrumors 6502a

mikeydeezy

He said he plans on using it for gaming w/ his kid. I don't think many (if any) games require the proximity sensor to function.

Now I've never tinked with an iPhone so I don't know if the cable serves another function. But hey...you tell us if it works.