Do I have 4G?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by RevolvingSheep, Mar 11, 2012.

1. RevolvingSheep macrumors regular

My iPhone now says 4G instead of 3G. Do I have 4G or did the 3G icon just change to 4G because of iOS 5.1?

2. Jordan921 macrumors 68040

Jordan921

Another one of these? Did you not think to search about this first? Did you not read about the changes in 5.1?

3. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

The 3G icon just changed to 4G. Same speed/coverage.

Another one of these kind of posts? Srsly?

4. Jordan921 macrumors 68040

Jordan921

And i'll keep posting til people actually know how to search instead of creating tons of threads on the same thing. Was it hard to read about what the changes were in 5.1 before they upgraded?

5. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

lol
    considering the amount of threads on this ... i guess

6. AndyinAtl macrumors member

PHEW!!!!! Thank golly gosh we have Jordan to look out for our best interests on macrumors!!!!

Look dude, not all of us pour over this forum like it was our favorite fetish. I browse through it once a week or so. This is the first I've seen of this type question. If you come across a repeat do yourself a favor and don't read or reply to it. Your life will become much simpler and less stressful. The downside is that you won't be nearly as important in your mind.....

7. batting1000 macrumors 604

No. The 4S is NOT a 4G phone. The 4S when on AT&T utilizes faster 3G speeds which match their 4G speeds, which is why the $G icon is shown. This is an intended feature on AT&T and Apple's part. Again, you do not have 4G, it's just that the 3G speeds match that of their 4G speeds.

You'll have the same speeds as before the icon was changed.

8. MacFan1701 macrumors member

Same speed as before. You basically have Super 3G, fake 4G, whatever you want to call it. HSPA+ (which is what the "4G") is referring to, is not true 4G. However, AT&T markets the HSPA+ as 4G even though it's not. The 4G is basically made to "match/reflect" with AT&T's "marketing terms."

tl;dr No, it's not really 4G. Blame AT&T's marketing.

9. Jordan921 macrumors 68040

Jordan921

You didn't need to read Macrumors to know that the change was made.

10. Irock619 macrumors 68000

Irock619

Actually MacRumors cleared up the confusion for many users. The 5.1 update didn't explain that even though we will see 4G in the status bar that we actually wouldn't be getting 4G LTE.

http://cdn.macrumors.com/article-new/2012/03/ios_5_1_ipad.jpg

11. Peanut207 macrumors 6502

Good question, me and my gf were wondering the same thing. Glad it was cleared up on here by some very informative members. ;) I don't frequent these boards enough to know the latest news. I'm busy with work, family etc.