Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jfperkins

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 29, 2013
Pasadena
I've bought Apple computers accessories devices music etc etc since 2000. 5 computers thousands of dollars in music and movies. Going through some old iTunes music the other day I find that 55 songs purchased through the store wont play because I need to enter my old AOL account password (remember when you could do that?) so for the life of me I can't remember the password. AOL has closed my six year old email account due to inactivity so I can't get the password that way. I call Apple and they are very nice of course but say even though they have a record of me buying the songs they cannot authorize them to play unless I can give them the password. So I ask if given the situation I can have a credit for the exact same songs that I purchased. No go. Nothing can be done!

So I feel pissed. I'm a loyal customer and we're talking about 55 credits here. But Apple will do nothing? And yes I should've remembered my password or written it down but this is years and years ago.

But before I write a disgruntled letter to Apple I wanted to get someone else's take. Am I being unreasonable asking for a credit like this? Has this happened to you?

AngryGerbil

macrumors 6502a
Aug 26, 2012
I've bought Apple computers accessories devices music etc etc since 2000. 5 computers thousands of dollars in music and movies. Going through some old iTunes music the other day I find that 55 songs purchased through the store wont play because I need to enter my old AOL account password (remember when you could do that?) so for the life of me I can't remember the password. AOL has closed my six year old email account due to inactivity so I can't get the password that way. I call Apple and they are very nice of course but say even though they have a record of me buying the songs they cannot authorize them to play unless I can give them the password. So I ask if given the situation I can have a credit for the exact same songs that I purchased. No go. Nothing can be done!

So I feel pissed. I'm a loyal customer and we're talking about 55 credits here. But Apple will do nothing? And yes I should've remembered my password or written it down but this is years and years ago.

But before I write a disgruntled letter to Apple I wanted to get someone else's take. Am I being unreasonable asking for a credit like this? Has this happened to you?

I work in iOS tech support and we never, ever, ever ask for or require apple id passwords. I don't know who you talked with but 99 times out of 100 the iTunes support people will transfer old apple id purchases to a new apple id account provided you can prove your identity. You can also submit a ticket via expresslane.apple.com.

zObsidian

macrumors member
Nov 25, 2010
so for the life of me I can't remember the password.

I don't think you have any right to be mad at Apple. They aren't responsible for your passwords through AOL or for AOL closing your account due to inactivity. I hope that Apple can find some sort of solution for you, but ultimately this sounds like your fault for not keeping track of your own accounts.

malman89

macrumors 68000
May 29, 2011
Michigan
Sounds like a great reason to download ("pirate") versions of the songs you already own, but no longer have access to due to DRM.

Tsuchiya

macrumors 68020
Jun 7, 2008
Contact them again, I had a similar issue and it was resolved fairly easily.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.