Do I have a virus?? Computer connecting to a whole bunch of iphones and computers

Discussion in 'macOS' started by TCU, Jan 14, 2010.

1. TCU macrumors newbie

This just started happening today. I have little snitch monitoring the network activity and it's generally quite calm, however now it's going crazy with incoming connections from other students (I'm on a university campus) and iphones of all sorts.

What is going on???? why am I connecting to all these devices? :confused:

[​IMG]

it seems that cupsd is a printing client but I don't have anything printing.. and haven't for a week now.

Any help appreciated.

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

You don't have a virus, since none exist that can run on current Mac OS X.
    When you connect to a wireless network, you can "see" other devices and computers connected to that network. It doesn't mean you can access their computers or that they can access yours, unless you set up file sharing and give them permission.

3. TCU thread starter macrumors newbie

I've always been able to see them but now all of a sudden my computer wants to connect to them... I have a nonstop crazy active network.. this only started today.

4. gfiz macrumors 6502

gfiz

yea, this doesn't look like a virus at all, but please ignore the above post regarding virus' and "none exist that can run on current Mac OS X". That is patently false and inaccurate.

Virtually all of these or some variation with few exceptions will work on the latest 10.6 kernel

http://www.iantivirus.com/threats/

5. jzuena macrumors 6502a

jzuena

Cups is a printing daemon, not a printing client. It is keeping track of all the network accessible printers in order to show them as options if/when you do decide to print something. Most likely (based on the printer names), many of the other students are sharing their printers on the network. I don't know of a way to turn this behavior off in the GUI, but you can edit /etc/cups/cupsd.conf to tell it not to browse for network printers. Make sure you know what you are doing if you intend to manually edit this file (or any UNIX system file).

6. old-wiz macrumors G3

funny. Except for trojans, the list is full of ***.

7. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

My previous statement is completely true and accurate.
    Now, THAT statement is "patently false and inaccurate!"
    The majority of the "threats" on that list only relate to outdated versions of Mac OS (10.3, System 7, System 6, Mac OS Classic), or old versions of software apps (iTunes 4.7, Quicktime 7.3, etc.), so they will NOT "work on the latest 10.6 kernel."

A great number are not even threats to Mac OS X, including:
    • proof-of-concept codes that don't exist in the wild,
    • a worm that only runs on jailbroken iPhones,
    • a completely harmless test file that can be used for antivirus testing,
    • password cracking apps,
    • keylogging apps, and
    • remote support and administration tools.
    Trojans, keyloggers and adware that the user must actively install are NOT viruses. Not one item on the list is a virus that runs on current releases of Mac OS X, because no such virus exists.

http://forums.macrumors.com/showpost.php?p=7174192&postcount=15

8. Sorkvild macrumors 6502

Hah!

Alright.. suppose those really are legit "threats" but do you actually believe any of those are in the wild and can really "infect" anyone?

That list is a marketing ploy to get people to buy their product. Though the threat level meter is a particularly nice touch I have to admit.

9. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

I particularly enjoyed how the adware proof-of-concept sample was the highest threat level.

10. TCU thread starter macrumors newbie

Sounds reasonable... but then why would it show up just this morning?? :confused:

11. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

Looks to me like you have some kind of sharing turned on in system preferences.

12. Sydde macrumors 68020

Sydde

Is this what might be called "Scareware"?

13. TCU thread starter macrumors newbie

Sharing of any kinds is turned off.. but it's still doing the same thing. :confused: