Do I have an iPhone 4? Found phone in club.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Sumran Domguy, Jun 29, 2012.

1. Sumran Domguy macrumors newbie

Hi guys, basically, work in a nightclub in the UK and found what physically looks like an iPhone 4. We have a policy that if phones aren't collected within 6 weeks, they're yours, with all possible attempts made to find the owner of the phone.

Anyway, last weekend time was up and I've brought it home now and it's completely dead. Stuck it on charge for a few hours as its been off for a while to see if I could re-set the battery and try and boot it Ito life, too no avail. Now I've got a 3GS myself and have changed the screen etc on it after being a clumsy fool, so had a scan on the Internet to find how-to on taking it apart.

Here is when it gets confusing, when stripping this apart I find that the battery is silver and it is soldered to the PCB board, all videos I have come across have a black battery and not soldered.

If it helps on the back cover/glass of the phone it shows; A1332 EMC 380A. Google shows this is a iPhone 4 16gb.

Is anyone able to point me in the right direction of a video/ details of another model of this phone. I've taken pictures of the inside of the phone and can upload these if required, currently writing this on my 3GS though.

Answers much appreciated.

Steve

2. troy14 macrumors 6502a

I don't know why you wouldn't just attach photos of everythign in the first place, you know we are going to ask for them.

3. Sumran Domguy thread starter macrumors newbie

My 3G was playing up last night so I couldn't upload the photos to photobucket, they are all up now. Here are said photos

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]

4. RocketRed macrumors 6502a

This is what the back of an iPhone 4/4S looks like.

Have you tried turning on the iPhone 4/4S? I want to say it's one of those fake China iPhones that looks like an iPhone but runs some crappy dumb-phone OS, or it might've been a phone that was repaired and the repair man used non-OEM parts to fix the phone.

Attached Files:

5. chambone macrumors 6502a

chambone

6. Comeagain? macrumors 68020

Comeagain?

How do you know?

(Simply for discussions sake)

7. Merkie macrumors 68020

1. Looks like an iPhone 4, but not identical to an iPhone 4. The screen is grey instead of black, the home button looks weird.

2. The inside of an iPhone 4 looks way different. http://www.ifixit.com/Teardown/iPhone-4-Teardown/3130/1

8. stephen1108 macrumors 65816

Yeah, you have a knock off buddy. The screen should be a big sign of that :(

That's more than likely why the phone was never claimed though :D

9. chambone macrumors 6502a

chambone

The sim tray is not where it's supposed to be, mainly. And also the home button has a weird edge.

10. cynics macrumors G3

11. aPple nErd macrumors 68030

aPple nErd

also notice that the metal casing on the outside has no separation lines that should be black. can you imagine the reception with this thing?!?!

12. ChazUK macrumors 603

ChazUK

Looks like an SD card slot on the upper part of the left hand side. :D

Let me throw in another "fake".

13. zub3qin macrumors 65816

zub3qin

this is the new iPhone 5 in the iPhone 4 disguise case.

14. mbell1975 macrumors 6502a

It has an SD card slot and thats an LTE radio, its an iPhone 5! Always leaving them in bars...

15. duction macrumors 6502a

duction

16. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

17. Tom G. macrumors 68000

Tom G.

Notice the soldered red & black wires?

Apple doesn't do that. They take up to much space, Apple uses ribbon cables instead.

Fake.

18. ghost115 macrumors newbie

19. pgiguere1 macrumors 68020

pgiguere1

I'm comparing with the 4S I have in my end and even the front is a little different. I confirm it's a knockoff, but the most realistic I've seen so far.

20. Leet Apple macrumors 6502a

Leet Apple

21. bandofbrothers macrumors 601

bandofbrothers

Your own policy should be to hand the iPhone into the proper authorities.

Karma.

22. Sumran Domguy thread starter macrumors newbie

Well I've got hold of a genuine iPhone 4, and got it side by aide to compare it with the one I have. Here are photos for those that are interested.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

23. Shadowbech macrumors 68040

The photo with the dock connector showing, one of them is definitely a fake one. it's a bit bent and looks plastic looking. Along with the headphone jack. The real one doesn't have the black thing around it.

24. Wilson1313 macrumors member

Definitely fake- there is also too big a ring around the camera and lens. You can also probably look on ebay for "fake iPhone 4" and look for comparison shots.

25. labman macrumors 604

labman

I think we have already figured out it's fake I think even the tread starter now realizes it. mind you it's a good knock off. the kind craigslist sellers makes suckers out of. but very fake if you know what to look for. I wish Apple would go after guys like this instead of Samsung, Google and HTC