do I have to backup over firewire for time machine and/or carbon copy? Or can use USB

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by TheNorthWaves, Oct 12, 2008.

1. TheNorthWaves macrumors 6502

Hey - this might be a stupid question, but I currently don't know the answer because I do my time machine and carbon copy clones over firewire to an ext'l 3.5" hdd.

I am setting up another mac for the girlfriend and have a 2.5" sata hdd to use as the backup disc. I don't have an enclosure yet, and was wondering if I can use these backup programs via USB connectivity as well as firewire. I ask this because there are basically no firewire-based external drive enclosures in 2.5" size. On that note, are there adapters for a 2.5 drive to fit in a 3.5 case?

Thanks,

2. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

Time Machine works just fine on USB hard drives and Intel Macs can boot from USB.

3. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

or course! its just Firewire is better suited for large amounts of data as it has its own chip so it doesnt rely on CPU cycles and transfers data in short, very fast bursts instead of slowly getting faster like USB. because of this Firewire is more preferred by Mac users for backups and cloning.

also Power PC Macs can only boot off Firewire so it was the only interface for clones. but Intel Macs now can boot off either.

4. TheNorthWaves thread starter macrumors 6502

Oh man you answered the other thing I meant to ask - whether or not you can boot a time machine backup. Excellent! I am assuming that I can boot up using a carbon copy clone - anyone using this care to add their $0.02? I haven't decided which backup protocol I plan to implement. I love CCC, but I might go with TM for her.

5. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

you can boot a clone by holding option on startup and selecting it in the boot selector. unfortunately a Time Machine backup is not bootable.

6. TheNorthWaves thread starter macrumors 6502

oops, I meant to ask if I can boot the computer (say, in the event of internal hdd failure) using USB-based (not firewire) external drive with a carbon copy clone on it

7. MasterNile macrumors 65816

MasterNile

Yes you can boot the computer using USB to connect to an external drive w/ a carbon copy clone, I've done it using my macbook.

But also there are external cases for 2.5" HDs that have FW800/FW400/USB2.0

Link to one here

8. TheNorthWaves thread starter macrumors 6502

thanks for the link - granted newegg sells USB enclosures for about $60 less... I'll probably just go USB. Thank you all for the feedback!