Do I have to buy the 3GS at an AT&T Store to get the "subscriber discount"?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by duelingdragons, Jun 16, 2009.

1. duelingdragons macrumors 65816

I'm assuming the answer to this question is yes, but I just want to make sure.

2. joro macrumors 68020

joro

Discount on what? If you're talking about a discount for service plans those come through FAN Accounts which are through your employer or school. Most, if not all FANs, don't give discounts on the iPhone purchase only on the voice - sometime data - plan.

3. duelingdragons thread starter macrumors 65816

Well, discount meaning $500 for the 32GB as a "valued customer".

4. darngooddesign macrumors G3

If you are referring to the 199/299 subsidized cost then you can get that at the Apple store.

5. aristobrat macrumors G4

Your status with AT&T determines your discount.

Regardless from where you buy the iPhone, (Apple, Walmart, Best Buy), ... their systems will all look up your AT&T status to figure out what price to charge you.

In that aspect, it doesn't matter where you buy from.

HOWEVER, if you are going to buy from an Apple Store, do yourself a favor and do the pre-authorization part online, before you go into the store. It will save you 10-20 minutes of time in the store.

http://www.apple.com/iphone/buy

6. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I believe you need to buy the phone at a ATT store if you receive discounts because who you work for or any other programs.

I get a discount on my monthly bill because of a deal between my employer and ATT. In order to get that setup, I needed to go to ATT.

7. duelingdragons thread starter macrumors 65816

Cool. I already have a contract and a 3G, which I am selling, so I'm just gonna use that $ towards the 3GS.

I'm probably gonna pay in cash, I just wanted to make sure that I could go to an Apple Store, which would be more convenient to me since I literally live down the street from one.

8. dave006 macrumors 68020

Most individual accounts (IRU) where you pay the bill directly to AT&T and that have a National Account Discount (NAD) attached aka have a FAN are eligible to purchase the iPhone at any retail location. The POS systems used by Apple, BestBuy, Walmart all have access to the AT&T system.

If you have a "Small Business" account or specific Enterprise Account plans you may be restricted to only purchasing via AT&T. This is a small subset of all of the AT&T.

Dave

9. duelingdragons thread starter macrumors 65816

Thanks a lot for that info.
    Now here's to hoping that my Apple Store will have them in stock this weekend...

10. feelthefire macrumors 6502a

AFAIK, you cannot pay cash for an iPhone at any retail outlet. You must pay with plastic (credit, debit, or gift card).

11. duelingdragons thread starter macrumors 65816

Wow, really?
    I guess I can deposit the cash into my bank acct, that sucks though.

12. aristobrat macrumors G4

If it helps any, you can buy an Apple Gift Card with your cash, and use that to buy the iPhone.