Do I have to go to an Apple store to get a repair?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by nick9191, Oct 27, 2008.

1. nick9191 macrumors 68040

Scroll down to the bold text if you don't want to read the whole story

Ok so I've got the palmrest cracking issue. It doesn't bother me at all, and I never care about things like this, and its barely noticeable. BUT I figure since I paid a decent amount for it I might as well get a replacement on the palmrest area.

My screen also has this thing where its kinda patchy and inconsistent when I turn it on, but then once the screen has 'warmed up' its fine. I guess this is just how the Macbook screen is, a consumer screen- ie. crap. I was wondering if I could blag a screen replacement of them as well. Also it seems a little dark, which of course happens over time. Not bothered since its fine once booted up, but can't hurt to ask.

And finally my trackpad is a tad discoloured. I understand this is an occupational hazard when buying a white machine, but I always wash my hands when using it. Don't care at all about this but whilst I'm there I'll see if I can get that done too, can't hurt to ask.

Oh and also the battery is on 500 cycles, and so starting to lose charge, not bothered about this either since I hardly use it outside, and of course thats what happens with batteries. I always charge and drain the battery, never leave it plugged in all the time like some do. Again can't hurt to ask.

My question is:

I went on the Apple site (UK), and entered my serial and country, and basically it says I have to book an appointment at the store which is about 20 miles away. The train fare is about £5, which being a student is still a bit much considering its their fault. And also I don't really want to go their with a £800 purchase.

Can they not send me a stamped addressed box so I can send it to them or something?

Sorry about the life story, but its nice to have a little background info.

2. GfulDedFan macrumors 65816

GfulDedFan

HERE are the FAQ's about service. In the left column, it states that "some countries" have a mail-in system. Check to see if yours does. -GDF

3. mrrish macrumors regular

mrrish

There are also authorized apple technical repair sites (as least here in the US) where you can go alternatively. All their parts are ordered from apple, and for the big fix-its, they just send your laptop to Apple for you.

4. nick9191 thread starter macrumors 68040

I gave Apple a ring, they're going to come round and collect it which is nice.

5. rushmere macrumors 6502

rushmere

Great service. Remember to make Steve Jobs a nice cup of tea when he comes to collect. Perhaps even open a fresh packet of biscuits? ;)

6. nick9191 thread starter macrumors 68040

Hehe

One last thing guys, they asked me if I had the original packaging, I said yes. On further inspection I have the Macbook box, but not the polystyrene stuff.

I was wondering could I just put it in my incase sleeve (also bought from Apple), then put that in the Macbook box? Would the sleeve get lost? Would the computer be safe enough?

7. DannyBres macrumors 65816

DannyBres

sleve might get lost cant u pack it in none orig packaging then u wont loose that either

8. nick9191 thread starter macrumors 68040

Haven't got any.

Could I wrap it in an old towel or something?

9. molala macrumors 6502a

Call Apple again. They provide the box if you don't have one (they'll take it back after returning your Macbook too).

10. nick9191 thread starter macrumors 68040

Too late they're coming first thing tomorrow, and I want to get it sorted ASAP.

Not to fear I found some packing material :)

Thanks for the help guys, I'll keep you updated.

11. nick9191 thread starter macrumors 68040

12. greenday123 macrumors 6502