Do I have to install Silverlight to listen to Classic FM online?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by PhilW, Mar 25, 2009.

1. PhilW macrumors newbie

A radio station that I listen to on-line has switched from a Flash-based player to a Silverlight-based player. Classic FM (in the UK) even have a handy 'How to listen' guide for Macs which talks about their Flash player, but when I click to launch it I get a message telling me to install Silverlight.

Is there any way that I can listen to the station on my Mac without installing Silverlight.

2. AdeFowler macrumors 68020

AdeFowler

Classic FM appears to be in the Classical section of iTunes Radio.

3. PhilW thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the hint. I've tried the iTunes radio version of Classic Fm, and all was going well until the DJ (if that's what they call them) opened her mouth... and was talking in foreign (Dutch I think). Not ideal but the music is much the same.

Does anyone know the downsides of installing Silverlight? I'd really prefer not to have to keep installing 3rd party programmes on my Mac.

4. glasserp macrumors regular

I haven't noticed any downsides. IMO, it is built and runs much better than Flash. I don't know a lot about either of the two, just that I don't notice fans or mem usage at all with silverlight. I wouldn't worry about it.