Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Leemi1982

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 23, 2019
Hi kind of stuck on should I be buying a new MacBook or is there any kind of alternative. Issue I have my MacBook about 8 to 9 years old but Rarely used, it just stores all my music mainly from cd burnt into iTunes then when I change my phone I just sent it across, however my MacBook now is starting to fail I’ve backed up my music on a sd card in case but I can’t seem to justify spending £900 on a MacBook just for it to sit under the bed?

Ulenspiegel

macrumors 68040
Nov 8, 2014
Land of Flanders and Elsewhere
Hi kind of stuck on should I be buying a new MacBook or is there any kind of alternative. Issue I have my MacBook about 8 to 9 years old but Rarely used, it just stores all my music mainly from cd burnt into iTunes then when I change my phone I just sent it across, however my MacBook now is starting to fail I’ve backed up my music on a sd card in case but I can’t seem to justify spending £900 on a MacBook just for it to sit under the bed?
In your case there is no sense spending £900.
A simple device will serve the purpose.
(Side note: Some weeks ago I bought a Windows laptop to have fun. Different experience, but not worse in any aspect.)

iluvmacs99

macrumors 6502a
Apr 9, 2019

If you're just mainly using your phone to do most of your online stuff and use the Macbook sync your music to it, then perhaps you may be well served with a phone dedicated storage like ileef. Leef iBridge or iBridge Air is a device that backs up your contacts, files, music and videos and you can recall them from this storage device. Supports Android or iOS devices. They act like an SD storage card, but has the ability to physically sync to your phone via their app. I use a Leef iBridge myself with my phone and I rarely use my Mac except back up what iBridge to a bigger storage hard drive just incase I lose my iBridge. Leef iBridge products aren't expensive and they come in different storage sizes. Hope this helps..

Cancelled
Apr 19, 2014
If you won't use it, don't buy it. It doesn't make sense to spend that much for a paperweight.

Ruggy

macrumors 6502a
Jan 11, 2017
If that is truly all you are using it for then there's no point.
Spend some money on a subscription to iTunes or Spotify, Amazon music and have all the music you could ever want available when you want it.
Or, upload your music to the cloud, or upload to Amazon music, or Google music for free.
£900 pays for many years of subscription and the great thing about having all that music available is you get to listen to loads of things you would never dream of buying but actually really like.
I don't know about you but I find the radio pretty awful these days and the likes of John Peel and Alan Freeman where you could discover interesting stuff have gone forever. iTunes or the like is where you go to discover stuff now in my opinion so invest your money in something like that.

Leemi1982

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 23, 2019
Thanks having a go at uploading to google music didn’t know you could do that. I’m so out of touch with technology

jpn

Cancelled
Feb 9, 2003

iPod Touch is the best way to go.
it will do all of what you need, and do it really well.

you can even hook it up to an apple bluetooth keyboard as well.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.