Do I need an AEBS to capture wireless with an airport express to xbox 360?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by elamenop, May 6, 2009.

1. elamenop macrumors newbie

Hello everyone! First Post!!!

I searched the forums but i couldn't find a specific answer to this question... I'm a kinda/non-tech savy girl who loves tech stuff but needs help sometimes :)

So I am interested in getting an airport express so I can capture the wireless from my netgear router and then connect my xbox 360 to the ethernet port to use the internet... I would also like to connect my desktop PC to the ethernet port to use the internet because I use my Macbook Pro for internet use. Since my desktop doesn't have a wireless card I won't have to buy an adapter for it if i use the airport express. I also want to use the airport express to connect to my AV receiver.

Basically in my room I have a desktop PC, xbox 360, AV receiver, and a tv. The reason I ask about the requirement to have an airport extreme base station was because it seemed like most of the posts on this topic said you need to enable "Allow this network to be extended" and i don't think my netgear router has this option, but i dont see why it would need it...

In my mind I would expect the airport express to be able to connect to my wireless network after i enter in the password, and then be able to connect my xbox or pc to the ethernet port...

Soooooo, is this possible?

Thank you so much for your help MacRumors!!!!

-elameno :eek:

Attached Files:

2. waw74 macrumors 68030

with the newer N version express, you can have it join the network and share that connection out its ethernet port.

just select join and enter your network info, and make sure the "allow ethernet clients" box is checked

the older G version will only let you do that if you extend, which as you said doesn't work well from non apple bases.

I don't know if you can hook a network switch or hub up, and connect 2 devices to the ethernet port, Don't see why not, but apple may have a limit.

for the initial configuration, it tends to work better to connect via hard wire, which i would recommend doing from your mac. once configured and working then switch over to your other devices.

3. Superman07 macrumors 6502a

I actually just put a similar question in here a few days ago.

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=510021

I'm looking to do the same thing, but I'm also trying to deal with Xbox Live "strict NAT" issue.

Can I assigned the APE a static IP that will stick regardless of the on/off status of the Xbox? That would - I think - allow me to address the NAT issue by dealing with JUST the IP address of the APE once.