Do I need carrier information on iPhone X Pre-Order Day (I'm not the authorized user)?

Orangeseeds

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 20, 2015
Hi Ya'll,

Question: So I'm planning to pre-order the iPhone X this coming Friday. I'm on AT&T and usually buy my phones at full price.

Two things--

When the 6 came out, I pre-ordered the T-Mobile version even though I had AT&T. It worked fine and I had no issues... Although I did have some connectivity problems down the road which were fixed by a replacement (oddly enough Apple replaced my T-mobile iPhone with a fully unlocked one). Can we safely assume an iPhone X (T-Mobile) bought for full price will work on my network?

Second thing... The reason I didn't pre-order an AT&T iPhone at the time was because I could of sworn I was asked for carrier account information... even though I was also buying it outright. I was just planning to insert my SIM card. I share a plan with my family and only one of us is an authorized user on the account... I had forgotten to ask for the account information and it was in the middle of the night and that's why I ended up going with the T Mobile version. Otherwise, I would have not gotten the phone on launch day.

My question is-- am I going to have some sort of AT&T account information ready come pre-order time? I'm not the authorized user so I can add myself--- or do I only need basic information? Is it same situation with IUP?

Juandagis

macrumors regular
Jul 1, 2010
For Att you need the phone number of upgrade phone, last 4 digits of ss, zip code of billing address, you will also need a pin which they will text you. It sucks I called ATT to make them take it off, but they can't because it's a security feature, which is going to slow me down.

JulesJam

Suspended
Sep 20, 2014
Hi Ya'll, Question: So I'm planning to pre-order the iPhone X this coming Friday. I'm on AT&T and usually buy my phones at full price. Two things-- When the 6 came out, I pre-ordered the T-Mobile version even though I had AT&T. It worked fine and I had no issues... Although I did have some connectivity problems down the road which were fixed by a replacement (oddly enough Apple replaced my T-mobile iPhone with a fully unlocked one). Can we safely assume an iPhone X (T-Mobile) bought for full price will work on my network? Second thing... The reason I didn't pre-order an AT&T iPhone at the time was because I could of sworn I was asked for carrier account information... even though I was also buying it outright. I was just planning to insert my SIM card. I share a plan with my family and only one of us is an authorized user on the account... I had forgotten to ask for the account information and it was in the middle of the night and that's why I ended up going with the T Mobile version. Otherwise, I would have not gotten the phone on launch day. My question is-- am I going to have some sort of AT&T account information ready come pre-order time? I'm not the authorized user so I can add myself--- or do I only need basic information? Is it same situation with IUP?
Where are you pre-ordering from?

Orangeseeds

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 20, 2015
I'm pre-ordering straight from Apple.
[doublepost=1508793147][/doublepost]
For Att you need the phone number of upgrade phone, last 4 digits of ss, zip code of billing address, you will also need a pin which they will text you. It sucks I called ATT to make them take it off, but they can't because it's a security feature, which is going to slow me down.
Yeah, I might just go with the T-Mobile version to skip all that junk. I plan on switching to them in the near future, anyway. However, since it's easy to pre-order that version, it might make it even harder to get it on launch day. Honestly, I'd be pretty happy if I get it within a couple of weeks after launch day.... Just don't want to wait till December/next year...

JulesJam

Suspended
Sep 20, 2014
(oddly enough Apple replaced my T-mobile iPhone with a fully unlocked one).
Your TMobile iP6 was fully unlocked or it wouldn't have worked on AT&T in the first place.
[doublepost=1508806357][/doublepost]
I'm pre-ordering straight from Apple.
In the past, you could only pre-order a carrier model if you have the account PIN and last 4 of the account holders SSN. And the SIM free models weren't released at launch so no way to pre-order those.
[doublepost=1508806403][/doublepost]
Yeah, I might just go with the T-Mobile version to skip all that junk.
There is no way to pre-order a TMobile model from Apple without a Tmobile postpaid account.

Shadowbech

macrumors 603
Oct 18, 2011
Apple iPhone World
Your TMobile iP6 was fully unlocked or it wouldn't have worked on AT&T in the first place.
[doublepost=1508806357][/doublepost]
In the past, you could only pre-order a carrier model if you have the account PIN and last 4 of the account holders SSN. And the SIM free models weren't released at launch so no way to pre-order those.
[doublepost=1508806403][/doublepost]There is no way to pre-order a TMobile model from Apple without a Tmobile postpaid account.
You don't need to have an account with T-mobile to order a T-mobile model on apple.com. They don't even ask you to enter carrier info. So Yes you can pre-order a T-Mobile model from Apple.

Reactions: JulesJam

lsh

macrumors 6502a
Feb 6, 2012
Cincinnati, OH
For ATT people, make sure you check your pin. I had one. Then I bundled my DirecTv and it's gone, and you can't set it up online. I did a chat and they had to send me to a special team to get it setup.

I just preapproved two IUP phones on the account. The primary one (mine under my Apple Store Appleid) didn't ask for the PIN, but it did ask for the last 4 SSN & zip.
For my daughter's, which obviously isn't under my Apple ID, I did need to use the PIN after I established the phone on IUP using Serial # and last 4 of IMEI -as well as the last 4 of SSN and Zip.

Now in my case, I'm the one taking out the loan, not my daughter. Now sure how Citizen sees that if the carrier account isn't the owner of the phone??? Maybe it doesn't matter.

JulesJam

Suspended
Sep 20, 2014
You don't need to have an account with T-mobile to order a T-mobile model on apple.com. They don't even ask you to enter carrier info. So Yes you can pre-order a T-Mobile model from Apple.
Well that's interesting. I guess they don't interface with TMobile's system then.