Do I need Extra Warranty?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by brokenbuyer, Oct 18, 2012.

1. brokenbuyer macrumors regular

I still don't get how AppleCare+ or SquareTrade works. At first, I thought of getting warranty, but it seems that it's not really necessary.

How do their programs work? I have read a lot of threads, including the AC+ vs SquareTrade but I don't get it. It cost $50 for replacement phones for both companies?

Is the one year warranty that comes with the phone sufficient enough?

2. dontwalkhand macrumors 601

dontwalkhand

I would get it, just for the piece of mind. I don't plan on dropping my phone, and I have a decent case, but just in case the case doesn't work, I would rather pay $50 to replace it than $299 to replace it (Apple's replacement cost price for broken OOW phones).

Some people factor that you do have to pay $100 for the warranty, and than $50, but then still, $150 is still lower than $299.

3. tucker3434 macrumors regular

Probably not. I have one for my 5. Didn't have one for my 4. Didn't need it for my 4. Probably wont for my 5.

4. SpyderBite macrumors 65816

SpyderBite

Actually, $229 is the oow cost for an iPhone 5, $199 for a 4S and $149 for a 4.

5. HazyCloud macrumors 68030

HazyCloud

A couple of things. One, it adds a year to your warranty. If you plan on having it for more than a year, you'll want the extra year of warranty. Two, if you don't plan on having it for more than a year, AC+ is transferrable and could make you get more for the device when you go to sell it.

I haven't had it on any of my iPhones, but I got it for the 5. Drop it? Pay just 50 to get it replaced. Pass it on to a family member? They get a full 1 year warranty, assuming you hand it over next iPhone launch.

6. SomeDudeAsking macrumors 65816

7. HMI macrumors 6502a

HMI

Genius

I once read a comment on these forums from someone claiming to be a (former?) Apple Genius.

If I remember correctly, he said that AppleCare was important for their computers, but unnecessary for their iOS devices, iPods, etc.

Unless, you are extremely hard on your iOS device, it (theoretically) should function well or as intended for at least the first two years of the device, without the need for AppleCare. If it dies during the first year, they should repair or replace it. If it lasts longer than two years, which seems likely, the AppleCare would have expired.

From my experience so far, my iPod touch has lasted just over two years, the battery capacity is a bit reduced and lasts a little less time due to normal usage and increased system demands of the more recent iOS upgrades. At that point you will decide if you want to keep using the same old product you have, or buy a newer version of the iOS device that you want for the newer/"snappier" experience of the upgraded hardware and features that may not be supported with the hardware of your older device.

The only risk to purchasing or not purchasing AppleCare for your iOS device is whether or not You think the device could break between the first and second year of use, and how much peace of mind you think you need not to worry about it.

If you treat your device with care, and have a good case for it, you might not need AppleCare for it. If you have the extra $100 to spend on it, so you don't have to worry about it anymore, then go ahead and buy it. I think it's more of a personal decision or preference than a device driven need.

Computers are more expensive and are more likely to need applecare to buy that piece of mind.

8. haruhiko macrumors 68040

haruhiko

lol!! :d