Do i need to activate Iphone 5 before i sell it ?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by shortduck, Nov 1, 2012.

1. shortduck macrumors newbie

Ok, I know that I have open the packet and remove SIM from Iphone 5, but do i need to activate my phone too before I resell.

I am asking this because some post suggested and some don't.

2. serkan macrumors 6502

serkan

3. mattopotamus macrumors G5

mattopotamus

I believe if you bought the phone on contract you have to activate it first. If someone goes to activate it will ask for your last 4 social numbers and billing address, and I don't think there is a way around it. If you bought it off contract I think you can just sell it w/o activation.

In the first situation I described, they could probably take the phone to the carrier and get it sorted out....it would just be extra work for the buyer.

4. shortduck thread starter macrumors newbie

its a contract ATT phone.

SO after I activate iphone 5, this will make my iphone4 sin deactivate.

So my guess is I will have to call ATT to get a new Iphone4 sim, am I right ?

5. mattopotamus macrumors G5

mattopotamus

That sounds right to me. I would just go in store that way you can activate it and get a new one.

6. cuti macrumors member

For AT&T customers, You dont have to open the box to activate the IP before selling it. In order to use the Sim come with the IP the buyers need to know some your personal information to activate, otherwise the buyers will need to buy a blank nano Sim card from their providers to use with the new IP.

If the original Sim card is never activated, you existing phone continues to use just fine with a new 2 years contract attached to it.