Do I need to bring in my old iPhone to buy a new one?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by macintologist, Jul 26, 2009.

1. macintologist macrumors 6502

I bought the original iPhone two years ago. Now I'm traveling in Europe and have decided to sell it here unlocked because it commands a much higher price in Europe. I will keep my SIM card.

When I return back to the States one of the first things I'll do is go to my local AT&T store and buy a new 3GS and then simply sync it to my iMac which has all my contacts, apps, music etc. Can I just give them my old SIM card or just my iPhone number and they will activate the new one, or do I need to have my old iPhone present? Will they be suspicious that I didn't bring my old iPhone to the store?

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I bought my 3GS online and didn't need to bring in the old one ;)

Just bring the phone in, I doubt very much they'll notice it was jailbroken. If push comes to shove, take the SIM card out and if they ask questions tell them the old iPhone wasn't working or something. They'll selling another iPhone so they'll not really care or pay attention to your old phone.

3. Cescfabregas4 macrumors member

Do you bring back your old watch to buy a new one? No. If the iPhone is yours why in hell would you need it to buy a new one.

4. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

Don't be a douche. OP asked a legit question on upgrade procedure. Your attempt at sarcasm fails as does the analogy. Few watches require a 3rd party network to be fully functional.

OP: I ordered my 3GS online for home delivery & it came w/ a new SIM pre-installed. (I also had an original iPhone..still do, just unlocked now). So based on that I don't think you need your old SIM. The old SIM will automatically deactivate when you get your 3GS.

Of course the painless thing to do would be to order online for home delivery a a day or so before you return home. Then you negate the possibility of getting a high strung clerk on a powertrip.

5. abijnk macrumors 68040

abijnk

The short answer is "no." When you go to buy the phone they don't care you old one is or isn't. You will get a new SIM card, so you don't even really need your old one. If, however, you are still concerned then you can always order online as others have suggested.

6. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

Just purchase your new 3GS online, at the Apple Store or at AT&T; have an active iTunes account and you can activate the iPhone via iTunes. Sync everything and *POOF* all your contacts, music, video, etc. will instantly appear on your new 3GS. When prompted, just sync from backup and you should be fine. Don't worry about your old SIM card, b/c it's just that, OLD! Enjoy your new 3GS.....:p:p:p

7. daihard macrumors 6502a

daihard

Another short answer: "No." :)

I just bought a 3GS at the local Apple Store yesterday. No online pre-authorization or purchase involved. All they asked was my existing iPhone phone number, my billing address zip code, and the last 4 digits of my SSN... the same questions they ask online.

8. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Except you don't actually own it for your first month of service. It's not really "yours".

9. gforce216 macrumors 6502a

10. Bacong macrumors 68000

Bacong

Relevant post, considering the OP has had his iPhone for far longer than a month.

11. Coolnat2004 macrumors 6502

Coolnat2004

I concor. I had my 2G with me and as my new phone was being activated in the store, I watched as my old phone died into perpetual "no service" mode. It was kind of sad. :p