Do I need to create another Apple ID acct for new $1 iPhone 7 before giving it away next month?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Taisiya, Nov 29, 2016.

1. Taisiya macrumors regular

I'm a newbie to the iOS world, so my question will most likely sound dumb. Sorry. :)

I bought a 64gb iPhone SE a couple of weeks ago because it was 99 cents on contract. When I received it, I created a new Apple ID acct and started using the phone.

Yesterday, I bought a new iPhone 7 from Best Buy because it was $1 on contract. Since I have no intention to switch to any other carrier and my current grandfathered plan works just fine for me, I do not mind having to renew the contracts on these two lines for another two years.

Anyway, I just picked up the iPhone 7 from Best Buy. It's already activated and voice/text/data work just fine.

My intention is to hide this iPhone 7 and give it to a family member for Christmas next month. I do want to test the phone out, just to make sure there's nothing wrong within the return period.

Can I just use the same Apple ID acct that I already created on the iPhone SE? When I give the iPhone 7 to the family member, can the phone be reset to factory default and another Apple ID acct be created?(as if it's brand new out of the box?) I don't want the iPhone 7 to be permanently tied to the Apple ID that I created on the iPhone SE.

Thanks for your help! :)

2. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

You can use the same apple ID in multiple devices.
    Then when you give it away you can log out of that account and do an erase all content and it will remove everything on the phone and setup as new.

3. C DM macrumors Westmere

Yes, the phone can be factory reset as if it's new.

4. AppleB macrumors 6502

AppleB

You can use your Apple ID on the 7 and just erase and reset it when you are ready to gift it. It won't be permanently tied to the 7

5. Taisiya thread starter macrumors regular

6. foxconn Suspended

i'm glad you got your answer but i wanna know if you know that you still have to pay off the SE for the next 2 years because it's under contract.

7. Taisiya thread starter macrumors regular

The iPhones SE 64gb was 99 cents. I had to renew the line with another 2-year contract. I'm okay with that. I've had my Verizon account continuously since before they were renamed from BAM(Bell Atlantic Mobile) to Verizon Wireless. (back near the end of the 20th century :D )

If I don't renew my contract and get the 99-cent iPhone SE 64gb, I'll just be paying the exact same monthly bill with nothing to show for it, no? :D :D :D

Having said that, I do wish I can switch to GSM carriers like AT&T or T-Mobil someday. Unfortunately, AT&T signal is 1 bar or less near my house and office. T-Mobile has zero coverage around my house and sometimes 1-bar half a mile from my office. For the last 10 years, Verizon Wireless signal has always been 4 bars or better at both my home and office. (which is why I'm basically stuck with them)